Mid-Range / Price Machine Choice....

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Mid-Range / Price Machine Choice....

Postby wallisj » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi all

Having sold off my Izzo Alex a few years ago .... i'm kinda missing having good coffee ... i even slummed it in instant for a bit :(

In my haste i thought a (shudder) capsule machine would be good enough to meet our limited needs so i bought a Illy Iberpresso based machine ...

While the coffee isn't terrible per se... the machines crap and costs are high and satisfaction low...

So we're looking at rebuying a new mid-range machine..

I don't want a Silvia ... had one ... didn't enjoy it ... so thats ruled out before i start
I did look at the Sage Duo-Temp Pro but it has too many compromises ... so thats out..

The price-range i'm looking at is around £500-£700 (absolute upper limit) - ideally lower end but it seems impossible...

My 2 choices so far are: QuickMill Silvano or the Expobar Office Pulser

Both seem like decent machines with expected compromises for the price range ... i know i'm not getting full on engineering that the £1000+ range gets you .... trust me i regret selling my Izzo

Anyway .... if any has had / used either machine or knows any decent alternatives please let me know

Cheers all

Jamie
wallisj

Postby GreenBean » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi Jamie, take a look at this thread for some options in your price range.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby wallisj » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:54 pm

GreenBean wrote:Hi Jamie, take a look at this thread for some options in your price range.

By options you mean "get an oscar" :)
Looks like a worthy option and a good brand.... but Coffeegeek's review makes me concerned about 1 feature ... having to leave the steamwand open until steam is produced to 'equalise' boiller pressure...

Having little kids about ... leaving a machine in that state is not possible ...
although that pre-modded version from elektros including the anti-vacuum valve fixes that..

Even the 'top end' modded one at 734 euros isn't bad with current favourable exchange rates....

Can anyone comment whether the pressurestat is really needed or whther the middle version is good enough?
wallisj

Postby GreenBean » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:34 pm

wallisj wrote:... By options you mean "get an oscar" :)

Oh, you spotted that did you :D

wallisj wrote:... Looks like a worthy option and a good brand.... but Coffeegeek's review makes me concerned about 1 feature ... having to leave the steamwand open until steam is produced to 'equalise' boiller pressure...

Having little kids about ... leaving a machine in that state is not possible ...
although that pre-modded version from elektros including the anti-vacuum valve fixes that..

You do not have to leave the steam wand open until steam is produced. If you leave the wand closed then when you first use the wand, after the machine comes up to temperature, the boiler will be full of air and the pressure will drop rapidly as the air is released. Once the air is released you can close the wand and wait a few minutes whilst the machine comes back up to pressure. Now the boiler is full of steam and is ready for use. Using that routine on each warm up of the machine is all that is necessary.

wallisj wrote:... Even the 'top end' modded one at 734 euros isn't bad with current favourable exchange rates....

Can anyone comment whether the pressurestat is really needed or whther the middle version is good enough?

I am not sure what you mean. If you are referring to some pressurestat modification then please link to it.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:48 am

Hi Jamie, glad you have seen the light and walked away from the coffee solids ;)

Breako used to have an Oscar, very decent machine producing some good shots :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby wallisj » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:45 pm

wallisj

Postby wallisj » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Couldn't resist the good exchange rate...

Seems they also have free delivery and plenty of people are saying they're a reliable company...

Can't argue for £500 shipped for an upgraded version of an already cracking machine.
wallisj

Postby GreenBean » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Congratulations, Jamie :D That sounds like a great deal 8)

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:11 pm

The Oscar is an excellent machine and you won't be disappointed. Three of my friends own and use them and are very pleased with the results.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 pm

Yes, looks good Jamie, especially with upgrades :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby wallisj » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:32 am

I asked the store owner a couple of questions before i ordered and he responded within 5 minutes... really impressive... people speak so highly of him

He explained the process and when it'd be going into his lab and then shipped ... so pretty confident .... should have it early next week

Just ordered my 1st Kg of beans .... dusting off the good 'ol Mazzer Mini that was consigned to the garage

Good coffee days are here again :lol:
wallisj

Return to Espresso