L'Anna not building pressure

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

L'Anna not building pressure

Postby nickneale » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:48 am

Hi All,

Looking for a little advise please:-

I purchased my 2nd hand L'Anna a couple of weeks ago, and had no problems from day1.

This morning the pressure rose to 1.5 bar, so I opened the wand, and the pressure dropped and stayed at just under 1 bar.
I then made a double espresso as normal no problem.

Then the pressure continued to drop, and is now zero.

I was told by the previous owner, that "a switch" at the back right-hand-side had "stuck" once when he was using it, and he "knocked" it to resolve.

I realise this is the pressure regulator. I don't think the switch itself is faulty, but I could be wrong.

Ideas please?
Is there anybody in the East of England that could/would repair/service for me?

TIA

Nick
nickneale

RE: L

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi Nick. The pressurestat is at the top back right, accessible under the lid. It's a a squat cylindrical item sat on end, covered in a rubber hood. It has an adjuster on it situated under the rubber hood on the top end that requires a tiny flat head screwdriver. The pressurestat controls the boiler pressure and thus boiler temperature. He may be referring to that. Please note that adjustments should be tiny on the screw head.

You might wish to mark the position with a wax pencil and move it out then back a degree or two, never more than a tenth of a turn, just in case it is in any way stuck. This may free it up. You might also wait until it happens again, if it does so. I think attempting to free it up this way is better than hitting it, if it is the cause of the over pressure. In this circumstance, you could do it with the mains off. You may perceive no change of course if the problem is the pressurestat and it's intermittent, but it might just relieve any ongoing tendency to seize that might be the issue.

There is an overpressure valve on the boiler but this sounds more like the pressurestat, particularly in view of the seller's comments. Are you still able to contact the seller? If so, perhaps he or she could more precisely identify the thing that was hit and the frequency required.

Are you aware if she has been descaled?

Please do nothing unless you feel competent with live electrical equipment and you do you at your own risk.

Good luck.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby nickneale » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:22 pm

a descale is on the list of things-to-do

worst-case is the pressurestat replaceable?

I have some experience, mainly with telecommunication equipment tho'...
nickneale

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:32 pm

Yes it is, and you will have no trouble with your experience. Give Scott a shout at happydonkey.co.uk if you need one, he sells Iberital machines and parts. I would try a really good descale first though.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dr.chris » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:28 pm

I'll second what Cakeboy said about descaling. (And about Scott at HD) It does sound like something could be a big clogged up somewhere. Scott also know a great deal about the machine.

If you want info on descaling its either on this website somewhere :) or either I or cakey can probably dig out the instructions Cakey wrote for me a few years ago.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby nickneale » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:16 pm

just got back from Farnborough after meeting Dan, as recommended by Scott.
I now have a wonderfully working L'Anna with new upgraded thermo, new boiler gasket and new group seal.

anybody want to sell a Mazzer mini? :-)
nickneale

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:29 am

Great news, Nick :D Good luck in your search for a suitable grinder.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:16 pm

Excellent news! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Return to Espresso