One size grinder fits all?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:23 pm

HughF wrote:NB : I have not tried the Vario for espresso grinding.

I tired mine for espresso the other day due to many people saying how good it was. Not mine, couldn't get it fine enough for a light roast without some nasty noises from the burrs... My Mazzer Mini is far better for this.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Lambo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Looks like I'll have to see about trying to re-arrange things in the kitchen somehow, plus working on the espresso drinker in the house, saying she'll benefit from it!
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby sicinius » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:55 am

Catastrophically late reply but yes. There is a simple but clever metal slide that seals off the bottom of the hopper which can then be lifted off and as the burrs are directly beneath, this leaves about 1 gram of beans in the chute. So you slide in the gate and you can empty the beans in the hopper back into your jar and replace them with something else. I hardly used the feature at all at first but these days, it's quite common for either myself of the mem sahib to fancy something different and I do it 2 or 3 times a week. It's almost easier than having separate hoppers. You can easily remove the few beans left in the chute or do what I do, leave them there, pull two shots and see if you can taste the difference.

This latter has resulted in me adding 15%-20% Brazil Natura to Finca Villa Bolivian beans and being a very happy chappy.

Like some of the other people here, I am in the late stages of espresso addiction so not everything I post may sound sane to normal people. :D
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Previous

Return to Espresso