Rancilio S26 Pump Problem

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Rancilio S26 Pump Problem

Postby JimS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Our beloved Rancilio has a pump problem
- Pump not working at all
- water comes out of group head, steam wand, hot water tap etc, but only due to pressure from temperature
- Pump was replaced last year so unlikely to be a mechanical pump problem
- Looking at the beast with its covers off, it looks like the pump motor is not turning at all
- With power off, the motor can be gently nudged around with a screwdriver so clearly not fried or jammed

My conclusion is that there is an electrical problem or electrical cut-off that has tripped somehow.... but I have no idea how to find or diagnose a problem beyond this point. Can anyone help me with next problem solving steps?

Thanks,

Jim
There are three intolerable things in life - cold coffee, lukewarm champagne, and overexcited women.
Orson Welles (1915 - 1985)
JimS

RE: Rancilio S26 Pump Problem

Postby bruceb » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Well, I am hesitant to give you suggestions without knowing how comofrtable or capable you are of testing mains-voltages. If you are at all uncertain about this please do not risk life and limb, but find someone who is trained in doing this kind of work.

Saying that, the first thing would be to determine whether there is power at the terminals of the pump motor when the switch is on so that the pump should be running. If there is the motor is at fault, or a high-temperature cutout has opened (check around the pump for a small button to press. Do this with the mains disconnected! If you have a Procon pump it has no button, but the thermal protection resets itself automatically). Even if the pump was replaced recently you must check that it is not at fault.

Alternately, the starting capacitor may be defective. There is no simple way to test this, but replacing it is not difficult or expensive. Again, please do not consider this if you are not comfortable working with mains voltages!

If there is no current you know the problem is truly not the pump and it will be necessary to look backwards at the various control and safety switches in the machine. If you do this let us know and we can possibly help you further.

Again, please do not risk a 240VAC shock which is not just unpleasant, but possibly lethal.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Rancilio S26 Pump Problem

Postby KOLU » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:18 am

there actually is a simple way to test faulty starting capacitor - take out the motor (disconnect the pump from it) and try to run itself without load. then try to hold the axis with pliers - if it's not able to start-up with load then the capacitor is definitely faulty.
or you can just replace it since it's cheap component (try DIY electronic suppliers because they might be far cheaper than espresso parts dealers) and see if it cures the problem.
travelling with Porlex, Aeropress and Kalita Wave...
KOLU

Postby GreenBean » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:17 am

Hi Lukas, I see that you have moved to Reykjavik 8) I trust that you are enjoying life there.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Espresso