Coffee and computational fluid dynamics (CFD)

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee and computational fluid dynamics (CFD)

Postby dr.chris » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:38 am

Just saw this

http://blog.gxsc.com/graphics_systems_s ... works.html

I would say that as CFD software goes the add on technology in solidworks is not good at all, and that I havent yet read the article in detail so cant comment on how good the work is. (Edit now I have - I can see that its very basic but there are some reasonable ideas. The approach is fine but the results dont really tell you anything or give you any indications of variations in response within the puck, but then there are only one set of results here.)

I am still planning to do some more modelling myself 'at some point'. Not least because one of the tools we have access to now is geotechnical software aimed at looking at soils (e.g things like what happens when you dig big holes in the ground, like building underground car parks beneath listed buildings). It might be just the thing for modelling tamping....
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Re: Coffee and computational fluid dynamics (CFD)

Postby GreenBean » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:00 pm

dr.chris wrote:...I am still planning to do some more modelling myself 'at some point'. Not least because one of the tools we have access to now is geotechnical software aimed at looking at soils (e.g things like what happens when you dig big holes in the ground, like building underground car parks beneath listed buildings). It might be just the thing for modelling tamping....

That would be an interesting project, Chris 8) With coffee extraction I have, so far, been happy with trial and error and going with what works best. I can see that this approach may not be quite so wise when digging large holes under listed buildings :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: Coffee and computational fluid dynamics (CFD)

Postby dr.chris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:22 am

.. I was on a course where we had a presentation from a guy who was involved with the great court development at the British Library. It was very interesting if a little scary. Lets just say they got it right at the end. He also talked about a piece of kit they used to measure soil properties, called a self-boring pressuremeter. I think I have met a few of those in my time..

The software in question is very good but liable to be a little unreliable, mainly because soil properties are totally unreliable (as in everything you do to it can change its properties).
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Return to Espresso