Upgradeitis

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Upgradeitis

Postby sicinius » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:37 am

Well, Bruce was right again. Since he correctly diagnosed my upgradeitis earlier this year I have been looking around for a machine I can plumb in and since I now drink more cappas than espressos, I need a twin boiler or HX. Since I'm now retired, writing a very large cheque isn't immediately attractive, however.

I have found a relatively new Grimac Mia, just serviced, which is an HX semi-automatic. It's rather big and looks like

Anyone heard of Grimac?
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

RE: Upgradeitis

Postby bruceb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Yep, Grimac is a well-established and generally well thought of producer of machines and also of parts for other companies. They are located just north-west of Bologna and in the UK are imported by Sarahs Coffee Company and are serviced by many companies. The Mia is a classic HX machine, is well made and reliable. Like all HX machines it requires a bit of learning in order to control the temperature. It also has the disadvantage of having a rather small drip tray and if you put it under a cabinet you will have trouble filling the tank. If this is not too much of an inconvenience for you (and it may apply to many other models as well) I can recommend the Mia without hesitation.
Good luck and let us know how you do.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Upgradeitis

Postby sicinius » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks Bruce. I'm a bit nervous of the temperature surfing lark after the Zaffiro, where it's pretty much irrelevant. But the Grimac is an attractive price and I'll get something for the Zaffiro when I sell it.

And it's really only a flushing routine, isn't it?
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Re: RE: Upgradeitis

Postby bruceb » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:22 pm

sicinius wrote:Thanks Bruce. I'm a bit nervous of the temperature surfing lark after the Zaffiro, where it's pretty much irrelevant. But the Grimac is an attractive price and I'll get something for the Zaffiro when I sell it.

And it's really only a flushing routine, isn't it?

Yes, you'll learn pretty quickly how long to flush and how often. It becomes second nature quickly. You can begin by measuring the temperature in a styrofoam cup, or you can just depend on your own taste. It's not rocket science. :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Upgradeitis

Postby sicinius » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:35 am

There's another option now. The Grimac is relatively new, hardly used and has modern frips, such as boiler insulation. But there's also a Rancilio S27 which is 7 years old, looks as if it has had an active life but has had a compete refurb and a new PCB. The guy selling them has a strong preference for the Rancilio, which is a commercial machine.
sicinius

Postby frcn » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Some general comments that would need research on these two machines on your part: Compare boiler sizes and realize that large commenrcial boilers take longer to heat up and use more electricity. Better suited to be left on all day than turned on and off as needed. But if you entertain they usually serve your needs better making multiple drinks all in a row. CHeck over on coffeegeek.com for user reviews. You should find some for the S27. Not sure about the Grimac.
- from Randy G. -
Hottop USA Customer Service
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby bruceb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Oh yes! The Rancilio is in a different category and is a great machine. Is this the plumbed-in model and if it is does that mean anything for you, i.e. is it going to be a problem to get a cold-water and drain connection? This is definitely a superior machine for a serious espresso drinker. Here's a link to a YouTube video of a guy pulling a good-looking shot with an S27: Click here.
bruceb

Postby sicinius » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:29 am

That is the one. Plumbed in supply but manual waste tray. Perfect for my setup. Not as pretty as the Zaffiro but the guy selling has a paint shop and can spray to order.
sicinius

Return to Espresso