LaSpatziale S1 Mini Vivaldi II - Water level problem

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

LaSpatziale S1 Mini Vivaldi II - Water level problem

Postby DarthVader » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:12 pm

My Vivaldi is over 6 years old but ever since I've had it the water detector system has been 'iffy'. That is the red water-low indicator comes on and the machine refuses to work even with a full tank.

Much mucking about and it comes back for a few weeks then the problem reoccurs. Now the effing lamp won't go out. I checked the float in the tank and its free to move and does hit the top stop.

Any ideas as to what I should 'poke' or hit with a hammer?

Cheers,

DV
La Spatziale S1 Mini Vivaldi/FFX1/Swissgold filter/Hottop/Imex CR100/Popcorn machine/Dog bowl and hot air blower/Mini Mazzer E/Dualit grinder/Rolling pin..........plus other coffee making/enjoyment bits'n'pieces
DarthVader

RE: LaSpatziale S1 Mini Vivaldi II - Water level problem

Postby bruceb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:53 pm

This is, unfortunately, a known problem of an otherwise very good machine. Have you emptied the tank and then slowly refilled it and watched the float to see if it can travel freely? If it sticks that is the problem and you need to find out why. If it travels freely the float may be demagnetized. The sensor operates by magnetism and the float is the magnet. I've heard of people trying to remagnetise the float, but I don't know how you would go about it without some lab equipment. You could test this by holding a small magnet in the area of the float when the water-low indicator is on. If it goes out it definitely is a demagnetised float. I've never heard of the sensor itself being defective. A new float is probably the best route to go if this turns out to be the problem. Good luck and please let us know if and how you get it sorted.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby DarthVader » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Many thanks Bruce. I guessed it must be magnetic and I identified the detector from a LaSpatzial parts manual.

I have for now got the machine working by gently pulling the mounting panel with the detector towards the front. That small amount of movement seems so far to do the trick but time will tell.

Cheers,

DV
La Spatziale S1 Mini Vivaldi/FFX1/Swissgold filter/Hottop/Imex CR100/Popcorn machine/Dog bowl and hot air blower/Mini Mazzer E/Dualit grinder/Rolling pin..........plus other coffee making/enjoyment bits'n'pieces
DarthVader

Postby bruceb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:06 pm

DarthVader wrote:Many thanks Bruce. I guessed it must be magnetic and I identified the detector from a LaSpatzial parts manual.

I have for now got the machine working by gently pulling the mounting panel with the detector towards the front. That small amount of movement seems so far to do the trick but time will tell.

Cheers,

DV

OK, you found it for yourself. I was hesitant to tell you to try to bend the panel forward, but that is a known procedure. Some people have said it cures the problem, others find that the cure doesn't last and they need a new float. Time will tell. Enjoy the coffee! :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby DarthVader » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:20 pm

bruceb wrote:
DarthVader wrote:Many thanks Bruce. I guessed it must be magnetic and I identified the detector from a LaSpatzial parts manual.

Cheers,

DV

OK, you found it for yourself. I was hesitant to tell you to try to bend the panel forward, but that is a known procedure. Some people have said it cures the problem, others find that the cure doesn't last and they need a new float. Time will tell. Enjoy the coffee! :D

Just in case I have to - do you know how to remove the 'cross float retainer' (part 7824) in order to release the float (part 7620)?

I am down to one weak eye so just looking isn't all that helpful.

Cheers,

DV
DarthVader

Postby GreenBean » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:20 pm

I am sorry to hear about your eyesight problems DV. I have never seen one of these floats so have just googled to see if I can find any details. Unfortunately I have failed to find a photo or any other details that might help. Hopefully Bruce or someone else who has experience with this float can help you.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby DarthVader » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:08 pm

GreenBean wrote:I am sorry to hear about your eyesight problems DV. I have never seen one of these floats so have just googled to see if I can find any details. Unfortunately I have failed to find a photo or any other details that might help. Hopefully Bruce or someone else who has experience with this float can help you.

I have a first model and not a VII. In order to remove the float I believe that I need to break the plastic cross. I have contacted La Spatziale UK to see if they'll sell me the two parts - float and cross retainer.

So far the bend of the mounting has held but according to peeps on the web this will fail as the magnetism weakens.

Failing which I'll have to find a 'kludge'.

I've had week eyes since a child but for some reason I have damage behind one retina thats pushing it up causing total distortion. The doctors have actually shown me a 3D picture but they say nothing can be done. They take one look at my age (70) and stick two fingers up.

Still they can't take away my enjoyment of coffee and Belgium Abbey beers.......

Cheers,

DV
DarthVader

Postby GreenBean » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:05 am

DarthVader wrote:...So far the bend of the mounting has held but according to peeps on the web this will fail as the magnetism weakens…

I will keep my fingers crossed that this holds until you have a permanent solution.

DarthVader wrote:...Still they can't take away my enjoyment of coffee and Belgium Abbey beers...

I am humbled by your indomitable spirit, DV.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Sorry, Mr. Vader, Sir, but I've been busy making videos on woodworking and local flooding of our garden LoL.

Sorry to hear about your failing eyesight. I've had cataract operations in both eyes and laser surgery, but thankfully both have been successful and my vision is one of the few functions of my body that still is pretty much intact.

I'm afraid I don't have any knowledge about removing and/or replacing the float. You might give Chris' coffee a call. They are usually pretty helpful.
Good luck, please let us know if and how you get it sorted and please continue enjoying the coffee.

bruceb

Return to Espresso