Wanted: Mazzer Super Jolly

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Wanted: Mazzer Super Jolly

Postby Sibling_Chris » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:49 am

So it is some time since I have been round these parts, hope everyone is doing ok?

Some may remember me discussing grinders previously and after contemplating various points of my home setup I still feel this is the weak point and am looking to upgrade.

Currently I have a Rocky Grinder, but with continual changing of SO beans I feel it's not ideally suited to the fine adjustments required.

So having been thwarted by fleabay so far I thought I would put feelers out here as I am on the lookout for a Mazzer Super Jolly.....I am not adverse to the doser although any doser less mods or doser less version I would consider. Would prefer the timer version rather than manual or auto.

So anyone thinking of upgrading or with grinders surplus to requirements and willing to sell please let me know as I would interested in discussing.

Thanks
Chris
Sibling_Chris

RE: Wanted: Mazzer Super Jolly

Postby bruceb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Chris,
Nice to see you back. I have two SJs, but don't want to sell them. :roll:
I certainly would agree with your choice, the SJ is hard to beat at any price. I own a dozen good grinders and they are by far my favourite. I bought mine as used wrecks from NW in Holland and rebuilt them. You can't really go wrong with buying a used one anywhere as they are built like a battleship, tough as nails and you'll want to replace the burrs in any case. I paid €50 for both of mine and spent another €100 on burrs and other parts. The one looks ok the other looks brand new. They are both the simple manual models and were (mis)used in cafés in Paris.
I'll make a sticky out of this thread for awhile and hope someone makes you an offer or gives you a tip. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Wanted: Mazzer Super Jolly

Postby Sibling_Chris » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:08 am

Thanks. I was looking on aforementioned auction site assuming I would be able to pick something up sub £250...but no joy so far. Sounds like yours were a bit of a bargain!
Sibling_Chris

Postby GreenBean » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:56 am

Hi Chris, it is good to see you around here :D I agree with Bruce that the SJ is hard to beat for home use. If you keep looking on the usual sites they do occasionally become available at prices below £250. I have sent you a PM with a link to one available at the moment.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Sibling_Chris » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:12 pm

This looks in VERY vgc but currently sits at 260 plus delivery
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301253717935

Any opinions? Is this to much for what it is or is that about what they are going for?

Thanks
Chris
Sibling_Chris

Postby bruceb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:42 pm

Sibling_Chris wrote:This looks in VERY vgc but currently sits at 260 plus delivery
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301253717935

Any opinions? Is this to much for what it is or is that about what they are going for?

Thanks
Chris

It's now at 371, which is pretty high in my opinion. Mine, however were wrecks and you would not probably have wanted to deal with rebuilding them.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Sibling_Chris » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Yeah it ended on 371. Although of course new price is much more that would be close enough for me to think more than twice....definitely went to high in my opinion.

The cheaper ones greenBean pointed me too look a bit dodgy because they say "sold as seen" but have stock product shot photos only. They are for pickup only and say if not happy with them they will refund the purchase....seems odd to me. Will be monitoring the bay carefully for a while and hopefully something suitable will crop up eventually
Sibling_Chris

Postby bruceb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:38 pm

As I said, you can hardly go wrong with the SJ. I've never heard of one burning out and what is there to it but a motor, burr carriers and the burrs. I wouldn't hesitate if I could look at it, let it run and then decide.
bruceb

Postby Sibling_Chris » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:45 pm

They are in South Wales somewhere so possibly a bargain for someone, but a bit of a trek for me!
Sibling_Chris

Postby bruceb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:52 pm

Sibling_Chris wrote:They are in South Wales somewhere so possibly a bargain for someone, but a bit of a trek for me!

Nice country down there 8) and you could visit some of the gorgeous narrow gauge railways there. There's so much to see in the UK! :lol:
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:29 pm

bruceb wrote:As I said, you can hardly go wrong with the SJ...

+1 I do not know how you can go wrong for £75. :wink:

Sibling_Chris wrote:They are in South Wales somewhere so possibly a bargain for someone, but a bit of a trek for me!

bruceb wrote:Nice country down there 8) and you could visit some of the gorgeous narrow gauge railways there. There's so much to see in the UK! :lol:

+1 I do not know what the UK tourist industry would do without you, Bruce :D

If South Wales is too far I suggest you keep looking, Chris. SJ's are regularly advertised and I am sure a suitable one will come along soon.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby dr.chris » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:00 pm

I spent 7 years in South Wales. There is some great scenery to enjoy during the rare breaks in the 12 month rainy season, but the list of things I will miss from my time there are very short (although it does of course include the Plan Cafe in Cardiff)
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:24 pm

No rain in sunny Manchester then Chris? ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dr.chris » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:18 am

Its all relative....

In reality it is colder up here in Manchester, but when you get rain chances are at some time it does clear and you have some great weather. You get contrast.

Swansea is the wettest city in the UK by some distance. When the sun does shine there are great beaches and countryside to explore. But when the rain sets in it doesnt stop, and in our experience seeing the sun was a rare occurence.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby Sibling_Chris » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:08 am

Please can this be un-stickied now as I have bought a grinder
In the end I had choice between a refurb SJ or there was a good deal I found on a new Eureka Zenith 65e..... Yes the latter was more expensive, but it seems more suited to my needs, includes 2 year warranty and needs no mods so in the end that is what I went for.
Sibling_Chris

Next

Return to Espresso