Looking to buy a machine in UK, second hand?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby KOLU » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Well, and who exactly said the temperature during the shot must be flat? :) Does really the flat temperature profile make a tastier shot than HX humped temperature profile?
Yes, the PID makes the strike temperature much more repeatable but - it takes a while until the boiler and all the water inside settles on some stable temperature after the "shock" caused by last cold water intake & reheating it again. With HX you can make almost infinite number shots one after another with almost minimal delay between; OK, never tried that with Oscar but I really think the machine will be nearly as able as Promac Club ME which I have used even on quite busy occasions without any problems.

I personally think the HX is much more versatile and able than SBDU machine. And getting used to observing the cooling flushes can't take you more than a month. When you nail the technique, HX beats the SBDU even if you really want a flat temperature profile (not mentioning you can make almost any temp. profile you want just by carefully tuning your operation routine and pstat setting with HX machine).
travelling with Porlex, Aeropress and Kalita Wave...
KOLU

Postby dr.chris » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:12 pm

The small Fracino HX machines (Cherub? cant remember offhand)might also be options but an Oscar for £600 sounds good.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:18 am

I second the watching of eBay for spares to repair, our Wega/Mazzer combo came in at under £17 total! Very minor repairs on the Wega only.

The Oscar does sound good. Nice machines. Breako (Espressomattic) had one and she was lovely.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby sicinius » Wed May 07, 2014 9:27 am

I would go for the Oscar and I expect most here would too. The Silvia is top of the entry-level range, the Oscar is well into the prosumer range of machines. Reliable, gets the job done and steaming milk perfectly will be easier.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Previous

Return to Espresso