Broken...you may laugh but...

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Broken...you may laugh but...

Postby espressomattic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 am

OK this is serious, but will no doubt get a few piss taking comments...

My lovely La Peppina was going so very well until 2 weeks ago. We were packing for our annual summer camping trip and me thinks it would be a good idea to have a brew prior to the 4 hour car ride.

So me switches machine on. However I totally forgot about until the wifey tells me the lid blew off the machine and we have no lights in the house.

Yes I had let it boil dry and go pop. Element is dead. 50 years old and not 6 months with me and it is buggered.

At this point you can laugh as I would expect you too.

Now - I cannot find a 700w 240v element anywhere and am looking at getting one custom made. Does anyone have a spare they can sell and ship to NZ please.

Orphan espresso don't have any and Francesco has got back to me yet...

HELP!!!

Breako

PS to ease my pain I am drinking Laphroig QA Cask
espressomattic

RE: Broken...you may laugh but...

Postby HughF » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:40 am

Half a pint of the Laphroaig should set you up nicely...

Not laughing, hang in there during your deprivation.

Cheers,

Hugh F
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:58 pm

I am not laughing either Matt. :( I hope you find a source for a spare or manage to get one custom made without too much difficulty.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby espressomattic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Looks like I have found a couple of element suppliers who can make a duplicate for around $100 (50 quid). Fingers crossed. Old machines are great except for parts!
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 am

That sounds like a very good price to make a one off copy for you. 8) I hope it is soon back in working order.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Good grief Breako! So sorry mate, genuinely a heart sinker. Now look away whilst I laugh ;) :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:04 pm

I think the only piece of equipment I simply cannot break is the aeropress. Truly a piece of unbreakable coffee ingenuity...9 years and still going strong!
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:07 am

espressomattic wrote:I think the only piece of equipment I simply cannot break is the aeropress. Truly a piece of unbreakable coffee ingenuity...9 years and still going strong!

I don't fancy its chances after you said that Mutty! Excellent pieces of kit though those. I hope your beautiful lever is back on song soon mate :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:29 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Good grief Breako! So sorry mate, genuinely a heart sinker. Now look away whilst I laugh ;) :)

I am shocked to see that beneath that warm, welcoming, friendly, caring facade we all know and love there may be a mean streak lurking. 8) :wink:

GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Oh but you bring so much joy to my cruelty! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:49 am

CakeBoy wrote:Oh but you bring so much joy to my cruelty! :)

And you so much cruelty to my joy.

Why sir I do believe you are a b'stard of the highest class
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:46 am

espressomattic wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Oh but you bring so much joy to my cruelty! :)

And you so much cruelty to my joy.

Why sir I do believe you are a b'stard of the highest class

I think of Cakey being like the evil genius Gru in Despicable Me. Desperately trying to be despicable but never quite succeeding. As the girls say at the end of this clip "I like him, he's nice… but scary… like Santa". :D

GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:38 pm

Desperately looking for a long white stick on beard, just in case! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Joris » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 am

the aeropress is NOT unbreakable.....

I broke mine last autumn.... drove over it with my car at a campingsite...
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:50 am

espressomattic wrote:I think the only piece of equipment I simply cannot break is the aeropress. Truly a piece of unbreakable coffee ingenuity...9 years and still going strong!

Joris wrote:the aeropress is NOT unbreakable.....

I broke mine last autumn.... drove over it with my car at a campingsite...

You are slipping Matt. Now Joris has shown that it can be done, we expect you to try harder :)

GreenBean

Next

Return to Espresso