Remote control espresso

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Remote control espresso

Postby bruceb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:04 pm

As many of you know I am a fan of big, commercial espresso machines. The machine I use every day is a Francesconi one-group with a big boiler and a 3kw heater. Because of the amount of power it takes and for safety reasons I don't really like to leave the machine on 24/7 when I am not at home. I had a small remote-controlled socket that allowed me to turn the machine on and off from other rooms in the house, but not when I was away.
What I wanted was a possibility to turn the machine on (or off) when underway. That way, when returning from a shopping trip, the doctor, etc. I could turn the machine on half an hour ahead of time and it would be hot and ready for use when I got home. I guess it sounds silly, but that's the way I am.
A few months ago I stumbled over a company called Energenie and discovered that they sell ethernet controlled sockets that can be controlled world-wide via the Internet. Since I had recently caved in to buying a smartphone it made sense and I bought one of these units. With it I can turn on or off the espresso machine in the kitchen from anywhere in the world as long as I have a GSM of Internet connection. The unit is inexpensive, comes with apps for IOS and Android and has a built-in web server so that it can also be controlled from any browser. The Android app is rather flakey so I use Chrome and access the web server to control the sockets. The unit I bought has 4 controllable sockets, but there are also individual ones available (there is dealership in the UK, btw). The unit is connected to my house ethernet network via a so-called "Powerline adapter." Wireless Lan is also available.
The pictures below tell the story.
Attachments
Energ_01a.jpg
Browser window with remote access. Clicking on "Off" turns the individual socket off." Clicking "On" turns it on.
Energ_01a.jpg (13.47 KiB) Viewed 15329 times
Energ_02a.jpg
4-socket remote control unit
Energ_02a.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 15329 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Remote control espresso

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 pm

That looks just the job Bruce. It's a shame so many apps appear unstable. I wonder if anyone has any experience of the iOS version in real time use. Presumably it is controlled by a magic packet? If so, I wonder if any WOL apps might be suitable without too much modifying?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Remote control espresso

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:32 am

CakeBoy wrote:That looks just the job Bruce. It's a shame so many apps appear unstable. I wonder if anyone has any experience of the iOS version in real time use. Presumably it is controlled by a magic packet? If so, I wonder if any WOL apps might be suitable without too much modifying?

Well, in fact, using the browser is just as handy and quick. As I mentioned, I use Chrome on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and it works fine. I don't know anything about the iOS app.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: Remote control espresso

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:00 am

bruceb wrote:...That way, when returning from a shopping trip, the doctor, etc. I could turn the machine on half an hour ahead of time and it would be hot and ready for use when I got home. I guess it sounds silly, but that's the way I am...

Not at all silly. It sounds like a great use of technology to further enhance the anticipation and joy of arriving home.

bruceb wrote:...Since I had recently caved in to buying a smartphone...
:lol: :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: Remote control espresso

Postby daveyb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:47 pm

Is a Wemo switch just the same? I use one with great success
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Automati ... words=wemo
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Looks good Davey. Same type of thing by the looks of it :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:19 pm

The reviews on the Wemo are for the most part not good. I'm not recommending the Energenie socket over the Wemo. I think both of them probably have issues.
bruceb

Postby dr.chris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Interesting as I think this is the kind of thing a lot of us wonder about from time to time. I had started to do some research a few weeks back. It is definitely the way things are going.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Thu May 22, 2014 11:49 am

Time for an update on this thread.

At some point I became unable to control the device from outside my own internal network, only to discover that I had made a mistake in configuring the network parameters. In my own defense, the instructions were written in perfectly clear Chinenglish, however I am only versed in Germenglish so I didn't fully understand that I was actually logging out when I wanted to stay logged in.

However, in the meantime Energenie has completely upgraded their browser and phone apps as well as the firmware, and the system now works perfectly and to my full satisfaction.

I am surprised how often I actually use the device to turn on my machine when I am on my way home from a sojourn. It's lovely to have it up to temperature when I walk in the door. I also turn the machine on every morning from my bed before I overcome my inner "pig-dog" and crawl out from under the covers. Retirement is not easy, I'll tell you.

In any case, if you need this kind of device or just want one I can fully recommend it. ***** :D
bruceb

Postby dr.chris » Thu May 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Funny I was just looking at these kinds of systems again as we are thinking of doing the same thing.

What I noticed in passing was that the reviews of the Belkin havent really got any better although its a great idea in theory. It would be the cheapest option but a lot depends on how well it communicates with your wi fi

That there is a GSM controlled Energenie unit if you wanted to go that way. (It has its own sim card..)

I am sure I will be corrected but it seems that the Energenie LAN power controller will still need to be connected into your local network, which means having an addition wi fi dongle, lots of cables or a PC located nearby. In other words it sounds like a great system but dependent on how your kitchen is set up.

That there is an alternative system that uses radio signals from a transmitter that plugs into your modem. (lightwave)

One other really interesting idea is one that uses the household wiring itself to transmit information. I know some modems already do this but I am not sure if its integrated with power management systems yet.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Thu May 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Chris,
Since our house is made of stone with walls up to nearly 3ft thickness, limiting WiFi range and making Ethernet cabling a nightmare I chose to use a "Powerline" system, i.e. using the mains for Internet connectivity. This put a little box on a mains outlet at the router and a little box on the mains outlet at the various (in my case 8 ) computers throughout the house. Speed is no problem, nor is range. I also have one of the little boxes at the EnerGenie power manager for Internet connectivity. There is a EnerGenie box that has built in WiFi, but for the above reason that was not an option for me. The Powerline system is, in my opinion, faultless, fast and relatively inexpensive. I bought all of my units used on eBay for a few quid each.
bruceb

Re: RE: Re: Remote control espresso

Postby GreenBean » Fri May 23, 2014 8:00 am

bruceb wrote:...The Powerline system is, in my opinion, faultless, fast and relatively inexpensive.

+1 I have been using them for several years with no problems whatsoever.

bruceb wrote:... and a little box on the mains outlet at the various (in my case 8 ) computers throughout the house...

:shock: I won't ask why you have eight computers scattered around your house :shock: I thought I was mad with half that number, I am obviously not trying hard enough and will endeavour to do better in future :oops:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Re: RE: Re: Remote control espresso

Postby bruceb » Fri May 23, 2014 9:56 am

GreenBean wrote:
bruceb wrote:...The Powerline system is, in my opinion, faultless, fast and relatively inexpensive.

+1 I have been using them for several years with no problems whatsoever.

bruceb wrote:... and a little box on the mains outlet at the various (in my case 8 ) computers throughout the house...

:shock: I won't ask why you have eight computers scattered around your house :shock: I thought I was mad with half that number, I am obviously not trying hard enough and will endeavour to do better in future :oops:

Well, look, there are the four of us and both the dog and the cat are constantly updating their Furbook pages and they don't like to have to go all the way to another room when they suddenly find a flea or throw up a hairball. Eight means only 1 computer per 2.8 rooms! That's no way to keep the PC industry alive, although we have done what we could in this respect. That reminds me, I need to buy a new machine for the drying cupboard. This one is getting brittle. :roll:
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Fri May 23, 2014 5:02 pm

You make a very persuasive case, Bruce. I was forgetting about your cat and dog and understand their social media needs. I feel bad now that I do not allow my tropical fish to have their own personal computers. :oops:

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Sat May 24, 2014 1:03 pm

GreenBean wrote:You make a very persuasive case, Bruce. I was forgetting about your cat and dog and understand their social media needs. I feel bad now that I do not allow my tropical fish to have their own personal computers. :oops:

Shame on you! Image
bruceb

Next

Return to Espresso