Upgraditus strikes

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Upgraditus strikes

Postby Babygazzer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:06 am

I've managed to persuade "she who holds the purse strings (SWHTPS)" that we need a new machine so Miss Silvia will be repaired and sold.
SWHTPS and daughters always drink lattes and I prefer espresso or americano.
I think I've narrowed it down to Francino Cherub,Isomac Tea,Expobar Office Leva.
Its also been said that the Nuova Simonelli Oscar HX should be considered.
Now for the criteria; preferably new. Height should be less than 400 mm. due to overhead cupboards would rather have hand fill. Machine and Spares should be readily available and backup customer service is important. Max prices is about £850 but would prefer to pay less . btw I'm using a Macap MC4 grinder.
Any ideas would be gratefully recieved on machines and/or suppliers
Gaz
edit: Also seen this Lelit PL60 plus T, any thoughts?
Babygazzer

Postby Danomar » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:41 am

I do not know the Fracino, but the Isomac and Expobar are excellent machines.

The Oscar is an interesting option. It uses a hybrid HX system that is similar to a Bezzera—which produces machines for Pasquini and many other large firms. I was torn between the Oscar and the Bezzera (or Paquini Livia 90), and ended up buying a used Bezzera BZ02, which has the same internals as the Livia. The nice thing about the hybrix HX is that there is no need to temperature surf. One brief shot to clear the screen and it is ready. I replaced one relay (the previous owner installed the wrong one) and backflushed every month or so. Dead simple and very easy to use.

The Oscar is not as pretty as the Isomac or Expobar, but it is very user-friendly. This might be an important feature if other people (who are less interested in the art of pulling shots) are also using it. On the other hand, because it uses much plastic, the Oscar might wear out sooner. The Pasquini Livia is nicer looking, has excellent build quality, and is an excellent machine, too. In-between would be the Bezzera.

The Isomac and Expobar should provide trouble-free service for a very long time, too. They merely require a bit more understanding from the user to achieve best results.

Hope this helps. :)
Danomar

Postby Babygazzer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks Danomar
Don't think looks are too important but SWHTPS may think different but as the machine isn't in a kitchen its in our utility room / coffee room / football den I may get away with ugly :D.
To be honest I don't mind spending time improving my coffee skills and if its too complicated I might be left to it. Occasionally when we entertain (not posh just family) everyone needs a coffee at present this is too much for the Silvia and it seems to take many a while. build quality is important as I'm hoping this one is a keeper, but I've said that twice now :D I'd like new for the same reason
Any ideas where's a good place to buy or avoid, i can understand if you don't want to post this but pm maybe.
Many thanks for your input
Gaz
Babygazzer

Postby Babygazzer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Well I finally bit the bullet and went and ordered a Fracino Cherub from Espresso Underground. I spoke to them today, they were very helpful and although they sell many more expensive machines this was the one recommended.
It will be sent out on Thursday can't wait to try it out. I now need to work out how set it up any information gratefully recieved
Gaz
Shortly Fracino Cherub, Miss Silvia (awaiting repair),Macap M5 grinder, Chemex, Aeropress, Hario kettle and drip filter,
Lots of Hasbean coffee
Babygazzer

Postby GreenBean » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:47 am

Congratulations Gaz. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Cherub once you get to know it. If you have specific problems setting it up let us know and we will try to help.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Babygazzer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:41 pm

At the moment I'm browsing every web site known to man (well what I can find) to find how out I get the correct temperature at the brew head Flushing etc and to update my frothing technique and lots more
Gaz
Shortly Fracino Cherub, Miss Silvia (awaiting repair),Macap M5 grinder, Chemex, Aeropress, Hario kettle and drip filter,
Lots of Hasbean coffee
Babygazzer

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Congrats Gaz :) Temp at brew head is usually a pressurestat adjustment.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Babygazzer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:48 am

CakeBoy wrote:Congrats Gaz :) Temp at brew head is usually a pressurestat adjustment.

Thanks CakeBoy any idea how I adjust it, its running at 1bar if the gauge is to be trusted
Gaz
Lots of Hasbean coffee
Babygazzer

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 am

Babygazzer wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Congrats Gaz :) Temp at brew head is usually a pressurestat adjustment.

Thanks CakeBoy any idea how I adjust it, its running at 1bar if the gauge is to be trusted
Gaz

Why do you want to adjust it? I am sure Fracino will have set it at what they consider to be the optimum setting and 1 barg sounds about right to me.

If you must adjust it then open the machine and turn the adjustment screw on the pressurestat. I do not know what make of pressurestat is installed in the Cherub but they usually have arrows with "+" for the direction to increase the pressure and "-" to decrease.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Babygazzer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:18 pm

GreenBean wrote:
Babygazzer wrote:

Gaz

Why do you want to adjust it? I am sure Fracino will have set it at what they consider to be the optimum setting and 1 barg sounds about right to me.

If you must adjust it then open the machine and turn the adjustment screw on the pressurestat. I do not know what make of pressurestat is installed in the Cherub but they usually have arrows with "+" for the direction to increase the pressure and "-" to decrease.

Just nosey I guess, I'll leave well alone for now
Lots of Hasbean coffee
Babygazzer

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:11 am

You could check the brew temp at the head with a polystyrene cup and a temperature gauge for a ballpark idea if you think it is miles out from taste alone. I think commercial machines are frequently set too hot, but not necessarily excessively so.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso