Miss Silvia tripping power

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Miss Silvia tripping power

Postby Babygazzer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:47 pm

It says it all really I came home tonight, no power on in the house. I traced it to said Miss Silvia I can't see anything obvious any ideas?
Babygazzer

Postby GreenBean » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:11 am

When you say you have traced it to Miss Silvia what exactly have you found? Do you mean that it immediately trips your RCD every time you turn your Silvia on?

If so then there is a leakage to earth within your machine. The usual suspect when this happens is the heater element. When an element fails it can short to earth which causes the RCD to trip. See this thread for some background reading.

If you are comfortable working on your machine you could check for this as follows:

1. Unplug you machine from the mains before doing the following.
2. Open up the machine and remove the two connectors from the heating element.
3. Insulate the connectors to ensure they can not short to earth within the machine.
4. Plug the machine back in, turn it on and see if it still trips the power.

If you find the RCD trips with the heater connected and does not trip with it disconnected then you know the heater element is the problem.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Babygazzer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:51 pm

GreenBean wrote:When you say you have traced it to Miss Silvia what exactly have you found? Do you mean that it immediately trips your RCD every time you turn your Silvia on?

If so then there is a leakage to earth within your machine. The usual suspect when this happens is the heater element. When an element fails it can short to earth which causes the RCD to trip. See this thread for some background reading.

If you are comfortable working on your machine you could check for this as follows:

1. Unplug you machine from the mains before doing the following.
2. Open up the machine and remove the two connectors from the heating element.
3. Insulate the connectors to ensure they can not short to earth within the machine.
4. Plug the machine back in, turn it on and see if it still trips the power.

If you find the RCD trips with the heater connected and does not trip with it disconnected then you know the heater element is the problem.

Thanks for that, yep thats how it trips.
I've disconnected the heater and will switch on as soon as my good lady finishes cooking, priorities you know :) Unfortunately I can feel a case of upgradeitus coming on. Would a cherub be an upgrade or a sideways step
many thanks
Babygazzer

Postby GreenBean » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:25 am

Babygazzer wrote:Unfortunately I can feel a case of upgradeitus coming on. Would a cherub be an upgrade or a sideways step
I don't have personal experience with the Cherub or Silvia. Take a look at this and this for some users views.

If you do decide to upgrade you may also want to consider the Nuova Simonelli Oscar which is in the same price range.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Babygazzer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 pm

GreenBean wrote:
Babygazzer wrote:Unfortunately I can feel a case of upgradeitus coming on. Would a cherub be an upgrade or a sideways step
I don't have personal experience with the Cherub or Silvia. Take a look at this and this for some users views.

If you do decide to upgrade you may also want to consider the Nuova Simonelli Oscar which is in the same price range.

Thanks for that hadn't even considered the Oscar will have a browse
Gaz
Babygazzer

Postby Babygazzer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:31 pm

next follow on question who sells the Oscar?
Babygazzer

Return to Espresso