Buying commercial/semi-commercial equipment.

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Buying commercial/semi-commercial equipment.

Postby Superlight » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Bit of a strange one maybe :?:
Have used a Gaggia Classic for a good number of years - over 10 I think, and as I'm not really the tinkering type I've left well alone, no PID'ing etc for me. As long as the coffee it is fed with is fresh and finely ground then it generally produces what I'd term good espresso.
Grinder is just a burr Dualit/Starbucks that I've modified to grind finer than the standard adjustment would allow for - this may be due as much to wear as the grinder itself but anyway, it works ok. I also roast my own with an iRoast2

and to now .... - I may look at a job-change from current dull as dishwater long-held IT Applications Support to some coffee-related career if my wife can fully utilise her recent legal qualification (thus meaning I don't have to be the main income earner). So, I'm wondering if a purchase of a significantly better grinder/machine combination is worthwhile ?
On the home-coffee front I'm fairly sure such a pairing should produce better results but on the potentially comercial front (I think that in reality a career switch to some as yet undeterminate coffee-based job is probably likely to coincide with my lottery numbers coming up but anyway ..) would the home-use of a 2 group Carimali machine, be of some benefit were this to happen , ie becoming familiar with a much bigger machine be a skill that I'd need to gain over time since the Gaggia is a machine I've used for a lengthy period plus it is that bit simpler and is designed for comparative simpletons ?
The machines in question (Carimali 2-group plus Ibertal grinder) are ex-cafe from a shop that is closed down near me, no idea of their condition, supposed to be in good working order - I'd obviously want to see them in action before I opened my wallet.
Good/bad idea ?
Looking to pay somewhere around £300-325 the pair. Carimali isn't a brand I've seen myself, not sure how well-regarded they are, obviously Ibertal grinders are pretty well thought of for serious home use.
Superlight

Postby GreenBean » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

I would recommend you read this thread covering 12 years experience owning a commercial espresso machine (follow the link in the first post by Bruce).

I would suggest, however, that you consider the following issues before making a decision:

1. Do you have the space required and are you happy with plumbing in the water supply (including a water softener) and drain?
2. Do you have the power supply? Many commercial machines draw more than 13 amps although it is usually possible to switch off or disconnect some heating elements to stay within 13 amps.
3. Are you confident that you can diagnose and fix any issues that may arise? Sending the machine for repair or calling in an experienced engineer may cost more than you are thinking of paying for the machine. The machine may be in need of a descale. To do this properly on a commercial machine involved dismantling the machine to descale the parts.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:39 pm

My main concern with the above is the price window. I think this might not get you trouble-free machines and may lead to disappointment. On the other hand, a good, used, commercial grinder from e-bay is usually inexpensive and even if you have to replace the burrs will be less than a mediocre "home" grinder. You might consider first finding a good grinder and getting used to using it, then go for the machine. A simple, HX commercial machine is much less likely to cause you grief than a chrome E61 box. If you have difficulties with plumbing in the machine there are good "café" machines with water tanks (La Cimbali, Faema, etc.).

If you need more help or are uncertain let us know. We'll spend your money with ease. :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Espresso