Water flow meter

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Water flow meter

Postby dwalsh1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Does anybody use a water flow meter connected to their equipment. I have been using one (Digiflow 8100T) and it's not that accurate or reliable. I'd like to keep an eye on litres used so I know when to change my Everpure cartridge. Can anyone suggest a reliable make that measures as little as 30ml. I'm UK based.
Thanks
faema E61/mazzer major, elektra nino.
dwalsh1

RE: Water flow meter

Postby bruceb » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't believe there are any accurate flow meters for small volumes like that, at least at reasonable prices. Laboratory volumetric measuring devices are very costly and even then need to be constantly monitored and calibrated. At least this was true until recently. If someone knows something better I would be interested in hearing about it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Hey there! Instead of measuring volume of water why not try something like this:

http://www.ro-world.co.uk/acatalog/Reve ... kcNBn8vRvY

I want to get one fitted so when the softener stops softening we can replace. It is pretty cheap too.
Chris

Postby dwalsh1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:40 pm

OK thanks Bruce/Chris. I think it best to change the cartridge on a yearly basis although I think there is more life in the one I currently have attached to my machine. Chris I don't do RO. no reason :|
dwalsh1

Postby dwalsh1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Would it be better to measure the TDS for scale build up rather than monitoring the litres used? :?
dwalsh1

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Hiya... I heard you have to replace filters annually anway to avoid bacteria build up... Not sure how true that is but makes sense to me.

The item I sent a link to is just a TDS meter that is inline. You connect it infront of your filter to measure incoming TDS and after your filter to measure outgoing. You can then check take readins each month and if your TDS leaving the filter starts to rise more than the usual daily fluctuations you find in the mains water then it is no longer softening the water as effectivley and you can then replace. It is the same logic as using the tables supplied with the filter and then comparing to water usage but I think it is a bit more accurate. RO has nothing to do with it, you can fit them to any type of water filtration.

Here is another link with a bit more info: http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/dm1.html

I saw one on amazon a few months back. I'm getting one soon so I know when to replace my filter.
Chris

Postby dwalsh1 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks Chris. I'm gonna get one just incase I wasting my money changing the cartridge when I don't have to. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HM-Digital-In ... 33832b6f0a this link lets you have a choice of different size fittings.
dwalsh1

Postby Chris » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:59 am

Nice... Thanks for the link :o)
Chris

Return to Espresso