Iberital l'anna issues

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Iberital l'anna issues

Postby AlistairJames » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi, I recently purchased an Iberital l'anna 2 group from eBay. Prior to the purchase I found quite a few posts on this site about Iberital machines so, post purchase, I thought it would be a good place to come post purchase.

The machine was advertised as used but functional, however after plugging in and turning on this doesn't seem to be the case. The temperature seems fine, hot water and steam both work but water doesn't really come through either group (by which I mean it splutters and dribbles). The right pressure gauge is just higher than 1 bar whilst the other is at zero.

I've contacted the seller regarding this issue (but it looks like they bought to sell so I don't know if they'll be any use) but in the mean time I wondered if anyone here could be any help.

Many thanks in advance.
AlistairJames

RE: Iberital l

Postby bruceb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:10 pm

Hello and welcome to TMC. Have you disassembled the shower screen and diffusor and cleaned all of the parts with espresso machine cleaner, backflushed also with cleaner, etc? That would certainly be the first efforts to make to discover what the problem might be. Please let us know how you get on and ask any further questions here. It may take a bit, but someone knowledgeable will come along to help.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:50 am

Hi Alistair, welcome to TMC. From the little information you have supplied it would be easy to misunderstand and misdiagnose the problems with your L'Anna. As Bruce has suggested you could start by removing and cleaning the shower screen and diffuser.

It would be helpful to more precisely define what water flow rate you get from each group. You should get between 60 and 90 mL in the first 10 seconds flow from each group. Assuming you are getting much less than this it is likely that the pump is faulty or the machine is heavily scaled or both. When the pump is running and with a blank filter basket in place you should get about 9 bar pressure on the brew pressure gauge. Your gauge reading zero may indicate a broken gauge, blocked (scaled) pipework to the gauge or a faulty pump.

If you are experienced with espresso machine repair you could investigate further by dismantling and inspecting the grouphead mushrooms which would give an indication of the extent of any scale build up and the gicleurs and screens to ensure they are not blocked. From the limited information available it would be prudent to assume that the machine will need a complete strip down and descale and possibly a new pump and other components. Unless you have purchased the machine for a very low price and are experienced with espresso machine repair you should consider returning it as not functional and not as described.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Espresso