Gaggia Clasic water spray

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Gaggia Clasic water spray

Postby RON » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:54 am

Hi I have had this machine for about 2 months. Still trying to get nice coffee from it. I wanted to know if the water should spray out from the screen like a shower head with pressure water spraying from every hole or more a sort of running through where the water runs together on the screen before falling down. Hope you understand what I mean. Does any one know of a video of what it should look like.
Thank you.
RON

Postby GreenBean » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:30 am

Hi Ron, welcome to TMC :D The flow of water from the shower screen will look different under different conditions. A clean shower screen will look something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egeuQThBcG8

When the screen has coffee oils on it the flow will tend to collect together and leave the screen in a combined stream. If the group is too hot water may flash to steam behind the shower screen which would result in spraying water and steam.

Whilst looking for the above video I came across the following showing the process for cleaning the shower screen and plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oGwJuJ65Dk

If you are still unhappy with the flow after cleaning the screen the next thing to try would be descaling the machine.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:31 pm

As usual, I agree with GreenBean above. Let us know if you get it sorted satisfactorily.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Espresso