FE-AR La Peppina

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:12 am

bruceb wrote:...Someone gave me a gadget that whips and heats milk to a rather nice foam (see picture)

The range of coffee related equipment that you have never ceases to amaze me, Bruce. 8)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby espressomattic » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Well several weeks down the track and the results are now very very good. The biggest problem was dosing. Am y websites suggest overdosing. I tried this for some time and last week inadvertently dosed the correct amount (14g). What a difference this made. I tweaked it with a slightly finer grind and harder tamp, which many also reccommend is not the way to go.

I am now getting consistently great shots as oppose to consistently good shots.

So was it worth it? I have to admit that it is even if it has taken a few kilos of coffee to get to this point. No way would I say to a novice user to go and get one though. While it would not be hard to master, I believe you need a certain amount of knowledge of espresso before hand to really understand what is going on.

The other very appealing aspect is the ease in which it can be dismantled and cleaned. Orphan espresso shows this step by step and it is really very good.

The only downside is the aluminium portafilter. This could develop that moka pot taste if not cleaned every day. But again this a 30 second job with washing up liquid.

It is very sensitive to older coffee however. Even decaf that is just. Couple of weeks old tastes like crap. This is ok as it encourages one to keep using ultra fresh I suppose.

The milk issue has been solved by a simple French press gently heated on a stove and foamed then decanted into my mota pot. Sure it takes time but this just adds to the whole hands on experience for me.

So the last word is that if you want a funky, effective brewing machine, then try the la peppina. Two a penny from Italy on e bay I belive.
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:17 am

A cute machine, a hands on experience and good coffee, what more could you want? 8)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby espressomattic » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:00 pm

A mazzer, Probat sample roaster, chemex, coffee plantation on my section... ;)
espressomattic

Postby zix » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:31 pm

[s]+1 on the Caravel, it is great, and you can get replacement gaskets and handles on orphanespresso.[/s]

Oh fudge, too late again. Never mind, I'll get my coat then shall I... :roll:
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby GreenBean » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:54 pm

No need for the coat, zix. On TMC it's never too late. :wink:

GreenBean

Re: FE-AR La Peppina

Postby espressomattic » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:11 am

Well the La Peppina bit the dust. The element sadly died a death (I checked and it was date stamped 1959).

Thankfully insurance came to the rescue with the prospect of said machine being repaired with a custom element.

However...I gave it to a reputable coffee service engineer here who assured me he would get it done etc etc. The bottom line was he never did and my machine went missing. He ignored the insurance company and me...so they settled with me for a like for like replacement. How on earth do you replace a 1963 La Peppina which is in all probability the only one in NZ???

So I settled on a Gaggia Factory/Millenium Europicola. So on that front I am mostly happy and thus it starts again!

Mostly unhappy at the service and loss of the Peppina really and I hope I never run into him in the street. Sadly he has a huge reputation, which could easily be tarnished, but then that would draw me down to his level.
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Good grief Matthew, I thought the Peppina was for always :cry:

I'm so sorry mate, that's just awful and shocking of the engineer. I think it is he who has risked his reputation and it rather reflects on his choice to ignore rather than you coming down to his level. I think there is a legal term for the permanent deprovision of goods belonging to another which we both know rather well!

Let's see some photos of the new acquisition then mate :D

On an aside, Anna has been out of action since late last year and despite major surgery and the valiant efforts of many, she may be on her last legs if indeed her HX system is holed somewhere as feared. The remaining tests to be carried out shortly will almost certainly confirm either way.

I hope you are all doing well. Take care mate.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:58 pm

So did I Mark...alas it wasn't to be...

Should be around Thursday I receive the Factory. I'll post up some pics when I get it.

Sorry to hear about Anna. What are you going to do if Terminal? Nescafe?
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:13 pm

Nescafé indeed, nothing less than Gold Blend I'll have you know! :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Its here...no photos yet. Its female. Its temperamental. you have to get things just right before she does whats she's told! And then when you have done that...she changes the rules. Very sensitive to dose and tamp, but pulled some good shots or at least better shots. Steam is good and because she has the pressure stat the issues of grouped being too hot is almost negated.
espressomattic

Postby espressomattic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Here she is - my Bella Donna. In the back ground is a loaned Mazzer from a friend who owns a coffee cart here in town.
Attachments
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG (46.61 KiB) Viewed 13929 times
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Pooh she is a purdy one! I'm sure she will have you in your place very soon young man!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Well cakes...A couple of false starts and once dialled in...I don't know what people moan about. Damn easiest espresso machine to use. Probably some of the best shots I have poured. Handy with a pressure stat I have to say and good for three shots in a row. Frakin awesome
espressomattic

Postby dr.chris » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:03 am

Is it just terrible to look at that picture, and apart from the obvious 'Oooh Shiney' then think that someone is going to have to drink a lot of coffee or there will be a lot of stale beans in that Mazzer Hopper?
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

PreviousNext

Return to Espresso