FE-AR La Peppina

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

FE-AR La Peppina

Postby espressomattic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:08 am

espressomattic

RE: FE-AR La Peppina

Postby bruceb » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:41 am

It's a primitive 1980s machine that makes a mediocre espresso that is invariably too cool. They sure are cute, though.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: FE-AR La Peppina

Postby GreenBean » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:11 pm

bruceb wrote:...They sure are cute, though.

+1 8) It looks like an interesting low tech solution. It would be good to have a play with one.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby espressomattic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:41 pm

bruceb wrote:It's a primitive 1980s machine. They sure are cute, though.

I know a few people like that ;)

Done some digging and this is made between 1963 and 1968. Me thinks a new machine is coming my way. Fully refurbished.

Sadly with space a premium in our kitchen and my daughters ponies...this is about as far as I can stretch my budget these days.
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 pm

espressomattic wrote:....Sadly with space a premium in our kitchen and my daughters ponies...

Hey Matt, have you considered the possibility of keeping the ponies in a field? That should leave more room for the coffee equipment in the kitchen. :wink: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby espressomattic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:53 pm

You know I thought I was going wrong somewhere... :P Does that mean the goats should be outside too...what about the chickens???
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:53 am

Well, I don't know about you, but I think it is good to have some fresh meat available in the kitchen. :)

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:53 pm

I had one of these "machines" for awhile in 1988. No matter what I did the coffee was mediocre at best and always too cold. I wouldn't waste my money on it, Matt.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby espressomattic » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:45 am

Cheers Bruce...well it is either this or a europiccola...rock and a hard place ;)
espressomattic

Postby bruceb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:28 pm

espressomattic wrote:Cheers Bruce...well it is either this or a europiccola...rock and a hard place ;)

Well, at least the first one or two shots with the Europicola should be well tempered. After that you can cool it down with wet rags if you want to make more shots.
bruceb

Postby espressomattic » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Finally used the search function after all these years...

Love some of your comments on them both Bruce! Have read more good than bad about the La Peppina and the same goes for the La Pavoni. On the face of it, it I was new to coffee I wouldn't touch either.

Can you explain to me just why the Pavoni group head gets so hot though? Did the La Peppina have the same problem?

Thing is, I don't make multiple coffees anymore (Joys of living miles from anyone). So the fact that I could only make a couple of shots at a time doesn't factor in. Also, have been using an old FP for Milk with the Aeropress should the need arise, so steam...well not a biggie really. Sadly it is a limited marketplace here!
espressomattic

Postby bruceb » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:39 am

The problem with the La Pavoni is actually quite simple. The brew head is directly screwed on to the boiler body (metal to metal). The boiler heats and heats and heats and when you make the first shot the brew head is hot, but roughly as hot as it needs to be to keep the water at about 95°C as it goes through the coffee. After that the head keeps getting hotter (as the boiler heats up again) and finally causes the water to actually boil as it goes through the head. The problem is made worse because the brew head is too small to dissipate the heat and there is no mechanism to control the temperature at all. The only viable solution is to wrap the brew head in a cold, wet towel in between shots, not a particularly attractive option.

Another problem is the small size of the basket and consequently limited amount of coffee you can use. I used to rebuild Pavonis and quickly became all-too disillusioned by these limitations.
bruceb

Postby espressomattic » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks again Bruce. Well have weighed up the options I have decided thT the la Pacino is not the way to go. If I am paying that sort of money I so not expect to be wrapping it up in a rag. So much to your no doubt disappointment Bruce, it will be the la peppina. I have read good Nd bad and the one thT sealed it for me was an extensive review by Kim schulman. I am convinced that in due time I will be pulling good shots..plus the Missus approves!

I was looking at a salvia as well, however I think after the machines I have owned that would be a step back. Now I know you will wonder if the LP is actually a step forward.

Worse case sceneario - bloody e pensive kitchen ornament and back to the plastic aerobie ;)
espressomattic

Postby espressomattic » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Us why are I phones so crap to type on...
espressomattic

Postby daveyb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:29 am

The newer La Pas are supposed to be better as thbey use a teflon or plasric coating, that said, the Arrarex Caravel, made between 1950 and 1980 is a fantatastic machine. Ot is espresso only and produces a small shot, less than 1 ounce. They are the simplest machine in the world. I own 2 and really enjoy going to use them.
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/arrarex_eng.htm
You can usually find them on Ebay if you do a worldwide search, and usually they come from Italy. There is basically nothing to go wrong with them!
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Next

Return to Espresso