Wet pucks?!

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Wet pucks?!

Postby smallblueplanet » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 am

Not sure if that's the correct terminology.. :lol:
Anyway I'm using a Gaggia Classic and have been lax in treating it kindly by descaling and cleaning it. So yesterday I tried to make up for that and gave it some tlc but the puck post pulling a shot is very gloopy, swimming with water on top - I thought it was meant to be dry?
Is this something fixable (easily)? Thanks. :)
Gaggia Classic refurb, Concept Art stampa wenge 58, The Coffee's Been knockbox, [blush]Russell Hobbs grinder[/blush].
smallblueplanet

Postby Ed » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:18 pm

I have a Classic and I have that. It is often the second shot or subsequent that I pull or sometimes with a new pack of coffee.

Try changing your tamp pressure or the coarseness of your grind to start with. If you have cleaned the machine you may have changed the pressure or speed of flow or something techie like that.

Somebody who really knows what they are talking about will be along soon to air a view.
Ed

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:11 am

Wet pucks are generally from too fine a grind for the machine. Grind a little coarser and adjust your tamp as required.
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:50 am

It is probably better to concentrate on improving the taste of the espresso rather than worrying too much about the puck. As mentioned above, coarser grind and more coffee, leaving less headroom above the coffee, can help in some circumstances. For further discussion and advice have a look at this thread.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby smallblueplanet » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks for the help. Only worried cos I thought it might indicate a problem with pressure/machine cleanliness. :)
Gaggia Classic refurb, Concept Art stampa wenge 58, The Coffee's Been knockbox, [blush]Russell Hobbs grinder[/blush].
smallblueplanet

Return to Espresso