Mazzer Super Jolly Dosing/Distribution Improvement

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Mazzer Super Jolly Dosing/Distribution Improvement

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:52 am

Hello all, just wanted to share with you a simple way to improve the dosing for the Super Jolly which is a great espresso grinder. The kick to the left when dosing makes a mess of distribution. I used the Schectermatic Shnozzola for a little while which was great but I wanted something a little more sturdy compared to the paper/card version http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/ho ... t6499.html

I came accross a reccomendation to use PVC tube on an Australian forum and have been quite happy with it so far. I bought a small length of tube from the ebay link below, let it reach room temp and then cut a 3.6 cm length with a pair of sharp gardening secateurs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251292409536? ... 1439.l2649

The tube can then be pushed into the dosing chute and stays in place.

The improvement in distribution is great. Can't say it is better or worse than using card, as a little coffee can get stuck on the top of the tubing but it is easy to remove as required.

Cheers
Chris

RE: Mazzer Super Jolly Dosing/Distribution Improvement

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am

I should add I bought Length (in m): 1/2 Metre (50cm) and Size (Internal Diameter): 25mm (thick wall).
Chris

RE: Mazzer Super Jolly Dosing/Distribution Improvement

Postby frcn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm

I have been using teh "Schectermatic Shnozzola" on my Kony for a few years now. Really works quite well.
- from Randy G. -
Hottop USA Customer Service
...and so much more!
frcn

Re: RE: Mazzer Super Jolly Dosing/Distribution Improvement

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 am

Thank you for the tip, Chris. It sounds like a simple solution :D.

frcn wrote:I have been using teh "Schectermatic Shnozzola" on my Kony for a few years now. Really works quite well.

That is a wondefully expressive name, Randy :wink:.

I use something similar to these solutions. In my case I cut the neck (the threaded portion with a reinforcing ring below it), off a supermarket 5 litre water bottle and glued it with epoxy to the underside of the doser. This is just the right inside diameter to ensure that there is no restriction in the flow or edges that could retain coffee grounds.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Mazzer Super Jolly Dosing/Distribution Improveme

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 am

Hey GreenBean, that sounds good too :D

I'd like to use something like milliput, modelling clay at some point to fill the exit and drill a hole through and smooth all the edges off. Like the mod in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBOaeF6D9rI

frcn, how do you find the sweeping fins on the Kony? Are they better than the mazzer or does coffee still get left behind? I feel like most time and energy is wasted trying to get all the coffee out of the doser with the mazzer dosers. The video above also has a mod to improve the sweep.

Cheers
Chris

Postby MrShades » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Nice idea Chris - the doser on my SJ has been bugging me (and annoying my wife) for some months, so I'll try the plastic pipe and see what happens.

I found this seller on eBay:

http://r.ebay.com/y4lPMX

They'll sell a 10cm long "sample" of the requisite pipe for 99p inc shipping - which is what I've gone for. Sounds like a bargain!

Shades
MrShades

Postby GreenBean » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:02 am

MrShades wrote:... Sounds like a bargain!....

It certainly does :D.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Espresso