MC2 Upgrade

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

MC2 Upgrade

Postby nekromantik » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi people
I just bought a Gaggia Classic and got a Porlex hand grinder.
Am thinking about getting a second hand MC2 with new burrs fitted for around £70.

What would be the next grinder that would be a worthwhile upgrade?
Want to see if I should save up for something better or stick with MC2.
nekromantik

Postby GreenBean » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:56 am

If you search this and other forums you will find lots of advice on grinders for espresso. You could start here and here.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:04 am

At risk of sounding like a broken record (for anyone who might remember those) I can heartily recommend a used commercial grinder of almost any brand, the bigger and heavier the better. They're available on e-bay for less than the price of a new "home" unit, they are virtually indestructible and they grind beans better than anything aside from possibly the most outrageously expensive new commercial machines. Even if you have to replace the burrs they are a bargain, considering the quality and reliability. Good luck on finding/deciding your way on the path to the right grinder for you. Let us know how it turns out, please. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeorgeW » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 pm

bruceb wrote:At risk of sounding like a broken record (for anyone who might remember those) I can heartily recommend a used commercial grinder of almost any brand, the bigger and heavier the better. They're available on e-bay for less than the price of a new "home" unit, they are virtually indestructible and they grind beans better than anything aside from possibly the most outrageously expensive new commercial machines. Even if you have to replace the burrs they are a bargain, considering the quality and reliability. Good luck on finding/deciding your way on the path to the right grinder for you. Let us know how it turns out, please. :D

+1
I too think that this is the way to go. These machines can take a huge amount of punishment and are reliable work-horses.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby espressomattic » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:57 am

To go totally against the wisdom of our wise old sages...

I have owned a few grinder hence. My favourite was a feama MPN because it was so dalek like.

Currently I run a Sunbeam Cafe series, which is in essence an MC2. I have ran a couple of commercial machines through it and to be really honest I din't find a great deal of difference. Yes the commercial ones are quieter and grounds are cooler, but I never really detected any taste difference.

I will stick with what I have unless a decent Mazzer mini comes my way and then I will happilky take it ;)
espressomattic

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:23 am

espressomattic wrote:To go totally against the wisdom of our wise old sages...

I have owned a few grinder hence. My favourite was a feama MPN because it was so dalek like.

Currently I run a Sunbeam Cafe series, which is in essence an MC2. I have ran a couple of commercial machines through it and to be really honest I din't find a great deal of difference. Yes the commercial ones are quieter and grounds are cooler, but I never really detected any taste difference.

I will stick with what I have unless a decent Mazzer mini comes my way and then I will happilky take it ;)

Ah, the impetuosity of youth.

Before I grew old and wrinkly and at that time when my trousers remained dry at all times, I too questioned the wisdom of my elders.....sigh.

The thing is, and you know this perfectly well, that you'll end up wrecking whatever you buy.....I feel mean now.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby espressomattic » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:23 am

Haven't broken anything coffee related for a few years now George...although I did break a finger last week...but my trousers are still dry...mostly. :)
espressomattic

Return to Espresso