Awkward portafilter to modify

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby sabre2 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:11 am

Hi

I offered to modify a portafilter for another TMC member. Now that I have it in my hands, I can't see how I'm going to do it. Before I return it, I thought I'd seek advice.

The problem is that the handle attaches right at the bottom, so removing any material would cut away part of the handle, and removing enough to expose the basket to view would make the connection between the portafilter and handle tenuous in the extreme! Photos illustrate.

Any thoughts (other than 'never volunteer') before I return it?

John
Attachments
IMG_1255.JPG
From the depth of the basket, there would be hardly any handle left
IMG_1255.JPG (21.44 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
IMG_1254.JPG
The area outlined in red shows the bit that would get cut away
IMG_1254.JPG (16.97 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
Last edited by sabre2 on Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabre2

Postby Beanie » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:16 am

Mine looks like the 2nd picture with the part in red also cut off. This means no dilly-dallying around once pf is off group otherwise basket gets cold FAST! Also, one has to get used to the significantly lighter weight. Grounds flew everywhere the 1st couple times. Duh! Level tamping is a lot easier for me now though.

I've only had mine about 1 - 1.5 wks; however, have noticed that although it does expose the entire bottom of the basket, the crema never really comes close to touching the sides of the pf. So far, it's always come straight off the centre for me. So perhaps you could try a smaller circle?

Good luck :)

and that's my 2 newbie cents.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Raf » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:37 am

Er, john, care to do my pf as well?.... :lol:
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Ian » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:37 am

John, I'd be tempted to make the cut nearer the external chamfer i.e raising the red line in your first pic. Are you milling or drilling? I stuck a 57mm holesaw in the pillar drill and was through in less than a minute, the brass is really quite soft.

I just took this pic, might help.
Attachments
IMG_1397.jpg
IMG_1397.jpg (52.32 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
Ian

Postby sabre2 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:01 pm

Raf wrote:Er, john, care to do my pf as well?.... :lol:

PM sent

(Yes, basically...)
sabre2

Re: Awkward portafilter to modify

Postby sabre2 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:05 pm

Ian wrote:John, I'd be tempted to make the cut nearer the external chamfer i.e raising the red line in your first pic. Are you milling or drilling? I stuck a 57mm holesaw in the pillar drill and was through in less than a minute, the brass is really quite soft.

I just took this pic, might help.

Milling. I assumed it was brass under the chrome. I hate brass. Although it machines easily, it machines into millions of tiny razor sharp needles, which embed themselves in your skin. Nice.

I'm sure the owner is monitoring... What do you reckon Paul? Sacrifice being able to see the basket?

John
sabre2

Postby pault » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:38 pm

Hi there,

sorry for not replying earlier but students have been interfering with my coffee life!!!

basically - if you could have a go at doing it like Ian has - that would be great even a shape that just avoided cutting into the handle part would be better than nothing methinks

and for the public record - if it all goes horribly wrong - it's a spare pf and I just appreciate the offer so I am not allowed to get mardy if it doesn't work!!!!!

maybe a good idea is to break Raf's and then learning from the experience do a great job on mine :lol:

thanks again,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Steve » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:36 pm

<HAND RAISED> please sir can you do mine :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby sabre2 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:47 pm

Steve wrote:<HAND RAISED> please sir can you do mine :)

Yes!

(PM sent)

J.
sabre2

Postby Steve » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:14 pm

Thank you :)
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Espresso