My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Some of the members here will remember that back in March 2008 the fellows at ESW in the Netherlands offered about 50 used Mazzer Major grinders at €50 plus postage. I bought two of them very late in the action and they were so ratty looking that I put them in a closet and forgot about them. Cleaning out the closet this last winter I pulled one of them out and took it all apart, cleaned it up, ordered new burrs for it and got a new doser from a kind member of TMC and a used bean hopper from e-bay. After rewiring and rebuilding it my wife was satisfied that it looked handsome enough to go into the kitchen.

I have a lot of grinders: Rossi, San Marco, La Cimbali, Faema, etc., all of them bought used and in good condition. I was surprised at the build quality of the Mazzer. It is roughly equivalent to a ship's anchor, heavy and crude. There is nothing refined about it, but it is built to grind coffee beans and obviously to last a lifetime. I am very pleased with the results and it was very easy to dial in. I am going to put a page on my website about rebuilding it.
Attachments
Major_03.jpg
Major_03.jpg (11.88 KiB) Viewed 11937 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby lsjms » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Cool, an old one with the best on switch and the shelf. I got Bombcup's Major and finally put my timer unit on it a month or so ago.
This is the best Mazzer IMO, I prefer it to the Robur and it grinds at the same speed.. SJ taste at Robur speed
lsjms

Re: RE: My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 pm

lsjms wrote:Cool, an old one with the best on switch and the shelf. I got Bombcup's Major and finally put my timer unit on it a month or so ago.
This is the best Mazzer IMO, I prefer it to the Robur and it grinds at the same speed.. SJ taste at Robur speed

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the speed! It is really fast, by far the fastest of all of my grinders. The grind consistency is also excellent.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby GreenBean » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Very impressive, Bruce. 8)
bruceb wrote:.... After rewiring and rebuilding it my wife was satisfied that it looked handsome enough to go into the kitchen...

I hope that you are included in the same category. :wink:

Oh yes, I'm allowed in the kitchen. I cook and wash up, but I'm not allowed in the living room. :oops: :roll:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:44 pm

GreenBean wrote:Very impressive, Bruce. 8)
bruceb wrote:.... After rewiring and rebuilding it my wife was satisfied that it looked handsome enough to go into the kitchen...

I hope that you are included in the same category. :wink:

Oh yes, I'm allowed in the kitchen. I cook and wash up, but I'm not allowed in the living room. :oops: :roll:

You are both allowed in the house? I consider myself lucky to be permitted shed room! How the other half live :shock: ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:28 am

CakeBoy wrote:....You are both allowed in the house? I consider myself lucky to be permitted shed room! How the other half live :shock: ;)

Shed? You were lucky to have a shed! There were sixteen of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road ….

- With apologies to Monty Python.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Shoe box! Shoe box! Never mind us having a shed now! We would have lived like kings in a shoe box if we could have afforded one in my youth!

Seventy-two of us lived side by side with an ants' nest all caught up in an old piece of chewing gum stuck to the sole of a local Bobby's shoe! It was an exciting life though, living on the open road. Trouble was, the blue lights and sirens often kept us awake at night, so we eventually did an exchange with a local stray dog who had grown tired of the lolly stick stuck on his tail. Oh, that was the life, our own log cabin by the sewerage sump :-)

No apologies to the Pythons. They are all very naughty boys :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby frcn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Shoe Box? LUXURY! You were living the life of teh rich and fortunate. WHy, we lived in the middle of a dirt road and were fortunate to have a good day when we had some gravel to rub into our hair.

I was at the "Monty Python at the Hollywwod Bowl" show with wife, mom, and dad! Still have the program from the show.

"You have a WIFE?! Why, we felt fortunate to have someone with a wife drive over us while we were living inthe middle of the road!"
- from Randy G. -
Hottop USA Customer Service
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby bruceb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Hmmmm, I must have posted news of my new grinder on the wrong forum.
bruceb

Re: RE: Re: My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby GreenBean » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 pm

bruceb wrote:Hmmmm, I must have posted news of my new grinder on the wrong forum.

Sorry Bruce, that is entirely my fault.:oops:

Cakey, Randy, I know what you mean. :wink: But if you try to tell the young people today that... will they believe you? ... No. :roll:

GreenBean

Re: RE: Re: My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:31 pm

bruceb wrote:Hmmmm, I must have posted news of my new grinder on the wrong forum.

Grinder! Grinder! We considered ourselves lucky if my grandad allowed us to use his dentures in order to crush kidney stones into coffee substitute! Cappuccino Captain Backadder?

Off topic, that is a lovely looking job on the Major, Bruce :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Re: My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby lukas » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:05 am

Quite a beast! Once you get used to these grinding speeds, the "normal" 64mm-disc grinders suddenly seem so darned slow. The mazzer build is ... different compared to the cimbali junior grinders: while the juniors rattle and scream, the mazzer just sits there and hums along nicely. like Laptop speakrs vs. a solid sound system ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Re: RE: Re: My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby bruceb » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Well, I must say I am not only happy with the grinder, but together with the new LM baskets my espresso making has become downright boring. It's difficult not to pull a really good shot. I roasted a pound of Guatemalan tres Marias and we are going through it so quickly I'm going to have to roast some more coffee this afternoon. The Mazzer is quiet and fast and as Lukas says, just sits there and hums. I'm really chuffed.
bruceb

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: My "new" Mazzer Major Grinder

Postby bruceb » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:09 pm

lukas wrote:Quite a beast! Once you get used to these grinding speeds, the "normal" 64mm-disc grinders suddenly seem so darned slow. The mazzer build is ... different compared to the cimbali junior grinders: while the juniors rattle and scream, the mazzer just sits there and hums along nicely. like Laptop speakrs vs. a solid sound system ;)

For those not familiar with these commercial grinders here is a picture of the burrs, the Mazzer Major on the left, the Rossi R45 on the right. I think it's apparent that there will be a difference in speed, however I am also convinced that the Mazzer heats the beans less during grinding.
Attachments
Maz_Ros_01.jpg
Left Mazzer Major - Right Rossi R45
Maz_Ros_01.jpg (23.24 KiB) Viewed 11696 times
bruceb

Return to Espresso