Homebrew Scace type device

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Homebrew Scace type device

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Has anyone here made or used one?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:39 am

No, would be useful though.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 am

This is a good read. What do you reckon?

I know dsc has done something, it appears in his flickr stream.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: Homebrew Scace type device

Postby GreenBean » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:40 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Has anyone here made or used one?

I made one that survived for about 50 readings before the epoxy resin I was using finally failed. I posted about it on TMC several years ago. I have not bothered about it since then as my espresso improved to the point that I was happy to rely on taste from then on rather than temperature measurement.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:13 pm

GreenBean wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Has anyone here made or used one?

I made one that survived for about 50 readings before the epoxy resin I was using finally failed. I posted about it on TMC several years ago. I have not bothered about it since then as my espresso improved to the point that I was happy to rely on taste from then on rather than temperature measurement.

I wonder then if the cut out of chopping board and rubber innertube gasket in the link above might be of interest? I did a site search too but missed your posts. I am rather old and decrepit these days though, apart from any caffeine overdose ;)

We have always relied on the polystyrene cup method for a ballpark setting and then relied on taste. I have no reason to think we are far out but the results of a Scace type device would be interesting.

dsc replied. He was using a needle valve as a flow restrictor on a p/f, he didn't do the whole temperature probe thing. He suggests a temporary paper towel 'puck' (others online have used car sponge) might suffice.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:38 pm

CakeBoy wrote:... I did a site search too but missed your posts. I am rather old and decrepit these days though, apart from any caffeine overdose ;)....

It was easy to miss as it was hidden inside another thread. See the post dated Mar 07, 2007 - 05:39 PM for details.

As I mentioned it was not very robust as the epoxy resin was not suitable for the temperature. If I was to try again I think I would do something similar but use JB Weld.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:15 pm

GreenBean wrote:As I mentioned it was not very robust as the epoxy resin was not suitable for the temperature. If I was to try again I think I would do something similar but use JB Weld.

I used JB Weld (from eBay) to glue a t/c into a spare blank filter. They do a Marine version which is best :-

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd22 ... rmo008.jpg
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby GreenBean » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:45 am

Bertie_Doe wrote:
GreenBean wrote:As I mentioned it was not very robust as the epoxy resin was not suitable for the temperature. If I was to try again I think I would do something similar but use JB Weld.

I used JB Weld (from eBay) to glue a t/c into a spare blank filter. They do a Marine version which is best :-

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd22 ... rmo008.jpg

Mine was a temporary device to get a few readings. :) Yours looks like a much more professional device. 8) Has the JB Weld survived without problems? How do you regulate the flow of water?

GreenBean

RE: Re: Homebrew Scace type device

Postby bruceb » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:07 am

I bet it was the John West caviar that did the trick.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Re: Homebrew Scace type device

Postby GreenBean » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:51 am

bruceb wrote:I bet it was the John West caviar that did the trick.

I thought it was a bit fishy as well. :wink:

GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Re: Homebrew Scace type device

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:23 am

Surely tuna chunks would provide more resistance? ;) :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 pm

GreenBean wrote:Mine was a temporary device to get a few readings. :) Yours looks like a much more professional device. 8) Has the JB Weld survived without problems? How do you regulate the flow of water?

4 years on and the 'weld' still holds good. Once every six months or so, I'll do 3 or 4 shots over a one hour period. The shots pretty much confirm that the temp drop between boiler and shower screen is 10C.

It's trial and error to set-up say 45ml over 25secs. You get your finest centre punch and tap a tiny hole in the blank filter. The hole should be so small, when holding up to the sky, you will see the tiniest speck of light. If you get a gusher, no worries, put the blank on a flat surface and tap the hole gently with a small panel-pin hammer.

Ah the caviar tin doubles up as a handy paperweight - it's full of .22 air rifle pellets :twisted:
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby GreenBean » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 am

Bertie_Doe wrote:.... It's trial and error to set-up say 45ml over 25secs. You get your finest centre punch and tap a tiny hole in the blank filter. The hole should be so small, when holding up to the sky, you will see the tiniest speck of light. If you get a gusher, no worries, put the blank on a flat surface and tap the hole gently with a small panel-pin hammer.....

That sounds like a simple practical solution for a device that is only used occasionally at home. 8)

GreenBean

RE: Re: Homebrew Scace type device

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:40 am

Yes it looks quite advanced, but it's just a brass water fitting that luckily fitted the old p/f spouts. It offers the thermocouple lead a bit of protection, but it's not really necessary.

My next project is to source some new flat burrs for my grinder. I emailed the Donkey and also Espresso Underground with the dimensions 50mm x 30mm x 7mm. If no joy I'll start a new thread.
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Return to Espresso