Owning a commercial espresso machine - 12 years experience

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Owning a commercial espresso machine - 12 years experience

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Having realised that I had owned my main espresso machine for 12 years and having often been asked about it I have written up a short review of what it has been like living with a commercial machine in a home environment. I put it on my website here. Spoiler: I'm a happy camper.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Owning a commercial espresso machine - 12 years experien

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Heading over now for what I know will be a great read and a lovely reminiscence :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Twelve years of faithful service, after a previous life in a cafe, hardly ever requiring attention, and still looking as good as new! :shock: That is very impressive, Bruce. 8)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby phil2spill » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:50 am

What a helpful article, Bruce. A lot of people will feel intimidated by the prospect of taking on a used commercial machine, but your experiences should help dispel the worries over running costs, servicing and maintenance.
phil2spill

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 am

That burr finish looks lovely...shades of the sixties.
I do think that nothing can bring that feeling of deep satisfaction as much as experiencing a "quality" machine and by that I mean a machine of any sort.
I have always hankered for domestic machines which represented durability and reliability above all. I had given up all hope until some years ago I stumbled on a brand which epitomised this approach as they designed and made their machines to last twenty-five years. "Miele" is the manufacturer in question and while their products may cost a little more they do live up to their claims.

The author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" had it right.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby bruceb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:49 pm

We gave up on all other brands and only own Miele machines now. A couple of them I bought used on e-bay because I know that all parts are available and the quality is so good that a few years of use will not make any difference. I got a smile out of the instructions for the dish washer: "Please do not stand on the door to reach higher cabinets. The machine could tip over resulting in personal injury." I think if you stood on the door of any other machine the door would break off. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:31 am

^^^^^^^^^^

I'm constantly amazed as to how alike we are Bruce. Were you stolen away from your parents as a child? Our tastes and our characters seem remarkably alike in so many ways that it does make me wonder. Tell me, are you an incredibly charismatic and attractive individual and do women find you irresistible?

No, I imagine that would be just too much of a coincidence.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby bruceb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:45 am

No, George, my parents sold me as a child for a couple of bottles of moonshine. We are undoubtedly twins of sorts, and yes, my charisma rushes ahead of me every time I enter a room, which causes the ladies to begin to fight over me. It is probably not coincidence, but our cumulative destinies.
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:09 pm

GeorgeW wrote:.... Our tastes and our characters seem remarkably alike in so many ways that it does make me wonder. Tell me, are you an incredibly charismatic and attractive individual and do women find you irresistible?....
bruceb wrote:.... and yes, my charisma rushes ahead of me every time I enter a room, which causes the ladies to begin to fight over me....

Such irresistibility to the opposite sex must have been a real burden to you both. It is heartening to know that you have at last found each other and the chance for true happiness. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Espresso