Old Hobart Grinder

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Old Hobart Grinder

Postby daveyb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge of or know anyone who has an interest in the above. I have acquired one, as a non runner. After a few hours she is running and actually grinding. The burrs afe knacked but I have sourced some of the 73 mm two hole burrs that are on. I can find little or no inormation on them, so any help would be gratefully appreciated!
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b53 ... %5B/IMG%5D[/img][/img]
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

RE: Old Hobart Grinder

Postby Filipo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 am

Hi , gosh haven't worked on these for a good ten years or so. They are nearly bombproof and weigh a bit to.. there is no info about these like you said. If you tell me what you need I will write back. Have you calibrated the burrs yet?
Ciao
Filipo
Filipo

Postby daveyb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 am

Hi Fillipo, I bought her as a non runner, but after a bit of tlc that was fixed. I have taken the burr assembly off and cleaned them but they are knackered completely. They are the old 2 hole type. I have found a set but am not sure yet if I am going to put them in or just move her on. I will share some more photos with you and a Youtube link of her munching 250 gms of beans!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trm_WKFHRis
Photos come later as I am off out!
any info gratefully received!
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Postby Filipo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 am

Nice... I used to grind down the four long metal fingers on the burr holding plate that sits after the spring to get the grinder to do Turkish fine. The motors are so strong they never overheat. Instead of expensive Hobart sheer washers we used filed down 1 pence pieces .
Filipo

Postby GreenBean » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Filipo, welcome to TMC. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Espresso