Ibertial L'anna tripping mains power RCD on power up! HELP

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ibertial L'anna tripping mains power RCD on power up! HELP

Postby Ratters » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Guys

Anyone ever experienced a 1 group ibertial lanna tripping mains power?

It has been fine but one day starting to trip the power when i turn it to position 2.

Are there any common shorting faults that anyone knows of?

Thanks

Paul
Ratters

Postby GreenBean » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:26 pm

The usual suspect when this happens is the heater. When an element fails it can short to earth which causes the RCD to trip. :(

I do not have any details on the L'anna but if position 2 on the switch connects the heater whilst other positions do not then this would confirm that it is an element that has failed.

If you want to test the element to confirm that it has failed see this thread. In your case you should find that one side of the element is shorting to earth.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Ratters » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks GB, i will have a go with a multimeter.. after reading the thread a few more times.

Do you know where is the best place to get and element should i need one? Happy Donkey.

Thanks
Ratters

Postby GreenBean » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:04 pm

No problem. I think Happy Donkey is a good place to start looking for a new element.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Yes, Scott recently supplied us with a new one Paul, though there is a lead time of over a week so order as soon as you know. Sorry to hear of your woes.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Ratters » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks for everyone's input do far, maybe a silly question but can I meter the elements on the position 1 as presumably the is no power getting to the elements until position two.

Cakeboy, did you have any issues like this ?

Thanks again
Ratters

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Yes, very similar though only one portion of the element had failed. Yes, you should be able to check it safely on position one though I would be reluctant unless you cannot discern the issue with it off in case the problem involves a short of some sort. Better safe than sorry.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 am

Ratters wrote:Thanks for everyone's input do far, maybe a silly question but can I meter the elements on the position 1 as presumably the is no power getting to the elements until position two.

Cakeboy, did you have any issues like this ?

Thanks again

I agree with Cakey that it is far better to be safe than sorry. Please unplug you machine from the mains before doing ANY testing. You can follow the instructions in the linked thread to test the resistance of the elements and also test the resistance to earth from either side of the elements to confirm that this is the cause of the RCD trip.

If you are not comfortable checking the above you could take the following steps instead:

1. Unplug the machine from the mains.
2. Disconnect the power to the heater by removing both spade connectors.
3. Plug the machine in and confirm that the RCD no longer trips on position 2.

If you find the RCD trips with the heater connected and does not trip with it disconnected then you know the heater is the problem.

GreenBean

Postby Ratters » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks GB that sounds like a logical and safe plan ill let you know how it goes?

Thanks again
Ratters

Postby dr.chris » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Just to confirm position one is pumps only - 2 is heater
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:36 pm

dr.chris wrote:Just to confirm position one is pumps only - 2 is heater

Thanks Chris. I thought that was likely but could not confirm it.

GreenBean

Postby Ratters » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi All

I've only just got around to opening up the machine and I have disconnected the spades to the heating element and shock horror the machine stays on.

So I can conclude that it is the element...

Next, do I just replace the element and is that a case of undoing the alan key screws ?? I'm not experienced in this sort of thing with coffee machine but am willing to give it a go and learn.

Also, upon opening up the machine there was a lot of crystal type gunk and green gunk. Ill upload a photo..

Thanks again
Ratters

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Yes, just a case of removing the three retaining bolts with an Allen key, making sure to take note of the orientation of the element. You will note the thin wire entering the centre of the element from the safety cut out coil and switch. There is a long probe on the end of that wire hidden in the element. It just pulls out but can be very tough to remove. You need to be gentle and try not to use pliers to grip it as it is hollow and easily damaged.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Ratters » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Ok cool, thanks cakey.

I have the element out and will remove the grey cable

I've also uploaded the previous photos..
Ratters

Postby Ratters » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Dead element??
Attachments
l'anna1.jpg
l'anna1.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 11122 times
lana2.jpg
lana2.jpg (41.34 KiB) Viewed 11122 times
Ratters

Next

Return to Espresso