Upgrade effects

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Upgrade effects

Postby quink » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:56 am

Having recently upgraded my silvia to a pavoni pub, my drinking habits seem to have changed.
Before, my usual routine was to be up at 6ish or whenever the kids burst in to the room then have about 4 doubles between then and 8:45 when I left for work.
After, I get to two doubles I'm done. I'm sat here now thinking "no don't really need one"
Anyone experienced something like this?
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby simonp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:35 pm

I've generally found the opposite after an upgrade, drinking more for a while due to the extra pleasure.
Maybe you were drinking 4 and getting 2 good shots, and now you only have to pull 2 to get 2?
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby quink » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:32 am

hmm could be, so far I've had no shots that are only good for the sink from the Pav. Even with the Silvia I wasn't that picky, as long as it wasn't a tooth stripper, I'd just steam some milk up and chuck it in for the not so good shots.

Bruce said in the other thread that he was reticent to suggest an upgrade to a 1 group commercial whilst I was asking for Silvia modding ideas. However since I've had the Pav up and running I think I've fired up the Silvia once, maybe twice. Got to say looking back, its good advice, it would seem that with a good technique espresso from a Silvia is a good as its ever going to be, and its not bad espresso, the mods just make her more consistent, easier to handle, and add a bit of eye candy.
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Return to Espresso