Iberital L'Anna Steam Help

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Iberital L'Anna Steam Help

Postby boldham » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi gang:
I'm learning to use this machine. I love the shots I'm getting from it, but I'm struggling with micro foam. Although I'm a novice, I seem to do okay on my other (albeit less powerful) machines. The problem is that the L'Anna has a large tip with 4 holes that are also quite large. My machine has a slide to turn on/off steam and there seems to be very little control over pressure; essentially on or off.
I feel like I reach maximum temperature way too fast and I get mostly milk with bubbly froth. The whirlpool is violent and it is difficult to control 'sipping' of air. I'm trying to froth small quantities of milk, but I didn't have much better luck doing larger volumes.
Should I try to regulate pressure or a tip with smaller/fewer holes.
Thanks for any advice!

:?:
boldham

RE: Iberital L

Postby bruceb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:32 pm

For each tip there is a minimum volume of milk you can froth. If you increase the size of your jug and volume of milk you will probably find that your problem goes away. This may not be a satisfactory solution because you will be wasting too much milk. In that case you may find it necessary to replace the tip/wand with one that has smaller or less holes. If I use less than about 250 ml milk in a 0.5 l jug with my machine (5-hole tip) it blows all the milk out of the jug.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby boldham » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:37 pm

bruceb wrote:For each tip there is a minimum volume of milk you can froth. If you increase the size of your jug and volume of milk you will probably find that your problem goes away. This may not be a satisfactory solution because you will be wasting too much milk. In that case you may find it necessary to replace the tip/wand with one that has smaller or less holes. If I use less than about 250 ml milk in a 0.5 l jug with my machine (5-hole tip) it blows all the milk out of the jug.

Thanks for the response. I feel a little less incompetent now! I'll look into replacement tip. The wand is male threaded and appears to be about 10mm thread. Does that sound right? Following will be a couple of pics. Sorry for non-metric tools; we still don't get it in the US!
Attachments
tip1.JPG
tip1.JPG (37.55 KiB) Viewed 10347 times
boldham

more pics

Postby boldham » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 pm

more pics
Attachments
tip2.JPG
tip2.JPG (37.73 KiB) Viewed 10346 times
boldham

more pics

Postby boldham » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

more pics
Attachments
tip3.JPG
tip3.JPG (36.55 KiB) Viewed 10345 times
boldham

Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby simonp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:09 pm

boldham wrote: The wand is male threaded and appears to be about 10mm thread. Does that sound right? Following will be a couple of pics. Sorry for non-metric tools; we still don't get it in the US!

Sounds like normal commercial tips would fit. I use a twin hole for a small jug. I also have a 1-hole which works well but with a different technique.
There will be loads of choices for tips you can try.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby dr.chris » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:40 pm

Anna does have a very powerful steamer. There are threads somewhere here which do talk about either blocking holes or manufacturing/borrowing another tip with fewer holes.

I am just an Espresson guy - the wife does steam but microfoam isnt such a big issue for her. Practice is a big part of it - I was pretty happy with what I used to get out of my old gaggia when I made a cappa for the wife but I wouldnt know where to start with Anna.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Yes, Anna certainly as some steam. Try the following on her with the standard four hole tip for a small jug with enough milk for a single cappuccuno or flat white. Assuming right handed, tilt the steam wand to about 30 degrees and face slightly left. Inset into jug with the arm right against the jug wall with the tip around half way between the spout and the handle and the wand arm nested in the spout area. With the tip just under the surface, no mre stretching, open up the steam valve to full power and lower the jug until the tip reaches the surface and the chh chh noise starts. In no time at all the milk will stop feeling cold. That is the time to raise the jug to place the tip just under the surface. Never sink it any further, Anna is too powerful. At this point, still keeping the tip against the jug wall or very ear, tilt the jug base sharply toward you. This seems counter intuitive but it whips the milk beautifully and creates a lovely vortex that seems to compensate for all the power. Stop at the desired temperature and any screaching means you ave it wrong. Remember, tip just under the surface, no lower, or you will get big bubbly Aero bar when you want microfoam :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby boldham » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:20 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Yes, Anna certainly as some steam. Try the following on her with the standard four hole tip for a small jug with enough milk for a single cappuccuno or flat white. Assuming right handed, tilt the steam wand to about 30 degrees and face slightly left. Inset into jug with the arm right against the jug wall with the tip around half way between the spout and the handle and the wand arm nested in the spout area. With the tip just under the surface, no mre stretching, open up the steam valve to full power and lower the jug until the tip reaches the surface and the chh chh noise starts. In no time at all the milk will stop feeling cold. That is the time to raise the jug to place the tip just under the surface. Never sink it any further, Anna is too powerful. At this point, still keeping the tip against the jug wall or very ear, tilt the jug base sharply toward you. This seems counter intuitive but it whips the milk beautifully and creates a lovely vortex that seems to compensate for all the power. Stop at the desired temperature and any screaching means you ave it wrong. Remember, tip just under the surface, no lower, or you will get big bubbly Aero bar when you want microfoam :)

Oh no, I'm a lefty! :wink:
Thanks so much for all the guidance. I'll let you know how I make out.
I did order a couple of tips from Chris' coffee, but they don't fit as nicely as the original. The thread seems correct, but the tips are not long enough to cover all of the wand threads. Mostly cosmetic, but more difficult to clean too!

Isomac New 2 Hole Steam Tip
Silvia 1 Hole 10 mm Steam Tip
boldham

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 am

We have been looking at two hole tips as well but had concerns about the length along with the logistics of getting them shipped at reasonable cost. Any idea if the EPNW HQ or 1st Line Gold Pro would fit any better on Anna's long thread? Does Chris' Coffee still sell their own brand two hole tip that was popular a few years back but some comented that the hole size could occassionally be irregular?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby boldham » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 pm

CakeBoy wrote:We have been looking at two hole tips as well but had concerns about the length along with the logistics of getting them shipped at reasonable cost. Any idea if the EPNW HQ or 1st Line Gold Pro would fit any better on Anna's long thread? Does Chris' Coffee still sell their own brand two hole tip that was popular a few years back but some comented that the hole size could occassionally be irregular?

For reference, here is image of Isomac New 2 Hole Steam Tip. I can imagine that keeping the threads clean will be a bit of a challenge, but it definitely makes the steam more manageable for a newbie!
Attachments
steam tip.JPG
steam tip.JPG (61.05 KiB) Viewed 10088 times
boldham

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:16 pm

That really isn't very attractive is it? You might fill in the gap with washers or nuts if you can find the right size. Otherwise, a tooth brush should do a good job of getting it clean.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Yes, that is a bit bothersome and I think the other two hoe tips mentioned are also short. A couple of places have blank tips available, which if I remember correctly are longer. Maybe good candidates for two 1.5mm holes.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby boldham » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:27 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Yes, that is a bit bothersome and I think the other two hoe tips mentioned are also short. A couple of places have blank tips available, which if I remember correctly are longer. Maybe good candidates for two 1.5mm holes.

It would be cheaper to plug holes on original tip with JB Weld (or similar) and use a small drill bit to make desired size holes. You could skip bottom hole further reducing output. I plan to give this a try over the next week or so; I'll update as to effectiveness.
boldham

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 am

Yes please do, will be watching with interest. The only concern being thd loss of ability to easily return to the original configuration
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Next

Return to Espresso