Iberital L'Anna Steam Help

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:34 am

Been looking on the Chris' Coffee site and wondered if the older, squarer Isomac 2 hole tip would ave the ength to cover the threads. Granted it's 'old' shape, but it is probably still effective.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby boldham » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 am

CakeBoy wrote:Been looking on the Chris' Coffee site and wondered if the older, squarer Isomac 2 hole tip would ave the ength to cover the threads. Granted it's 'old' shape, but it is probably still effective.

Not sure. I also bought the Silvia 1 Hole 10 mm Steam Tip and although it covers more of the threads, it still is not a perfect fit.
I'm going to modify the original this weekend. I'll let you know how I make out!
I was also wondering if any of these would fit: http://www.espressoparts.com/SteamWandTips

Thanks for the steaming tips (excuse the pun!); I'm getting better following your suggestions (and using Isomac New 2 Hole Steam Tip).
boldham

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

We were looking at those as well. Perhaps a call to ask them of the length of the female threaded section?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby boldham » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:48 pm

I successfully made the holes on the steam tip smaller this weekend.
I used a dropper to place some JB Weld down into tip (avoiding the threads). I forced it into tip until it was protruding from the holes.
I wiped excess from the exterior and let it dry.
I found some tiny drill bits designed for Dremel tool at Home Depot.
At first I only drilled out the 3 angled holes. The steam was greatly restricted so I enlarged them slightly. At the same time, I drilled out the middle hole. Then I thought the flow was too high! I again blocked the middle hole with JB Weld.
In short, I get the best performance (for my skills) with just 3 angled holes smaller than stock and the middle hole blocked.
It was easy to do and very easy to customize and cheap. I highly recommend this rather than trying to make other tips works.
In the following pic, the middle hole is drilled, but I later filled. Oh yeah, JB Weld is food safe; make sure whatever you use is as well!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (27.59 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
boldham

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 am

Nicely done boldham :) It will be interesting to hear how you get on over the next week as you perfect your method with the modified tip. After some investigation, it appears there is currently no two hole steam tip with the necessary half inch length to cover Anna's wand thread.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Boldham, what configuration are the holes on the two hole tips that you ave tried, for instance, with the wand in the normal position for use are they at 6 and 12 on the clock, 3 and 9 or something else?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Iberital L

Postby boldham » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:34 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Boldham, what configuration are the holes on the two hole tips that you ave tried, for instance, with the wand in the normal position for use are they at 6 and 12 on the clock, 3 and 9 or something else?

Interesting question. I never thought about how that would affect frothing, but I'm sure it does! I bought an o-ring with it, so one could easily turn a a 1/4 turn either way while still maintaining a seal. I didn't spend too much time on it because I didn't like how it looked and customized the stock tip to my liking (do it! you'll be happy :wink: )
boldham

Previous

Return to Espresso