Iberital MC2 Quality Problems

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Iberital MC2 Quality Problems

Postby ferndown345 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 pm

I've just taken delivery of a MC2 auto and am very disappointment in the build quality.
I initially thought that I'd been sent a reconditioned model!!

1. The short chute has quite a few deep scratches.

2. The Iberital logo and plastic portafilter arms and body retaining clip seem to been put on by someone with a blind fold (they have been put on at a strange angle).

3. The grinder body itself wobbles on the plastic base.

4. The base does not seem to be flat.

I've heard that MC 2 grinder is the best under £200, but am I just unlucky?
I've got the option of a refund or exchange for another more expensive model.
I don't really want to spend any more, but can someone suggest the best option?
I've not used as yet as may need to go back.
Thanks
ferndown345

RE: Iberital MC2 Quality Problems

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

From the sounds of it you will not be satisfied with this grinder under any circumstance. I can't tell you whether this is the general state of affairs or not, but it does not sound like this is just a one-off problem. You might consider returning it and watching e-bay or other sources for a good, used commercial grinder. I have bought 10 of them over the years and have not been disappointed. Even if you have to replace the burrs you will come out ahead. Perhaps someone else will have more to say about the MC2.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby qwerty69 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:39 am

In the first instance I'd send it back and ask for a replacement.

Having said that the iberital sticker on mine isnt straight either. If need be you could always straighten the angle of the portafilter legs by loosening the screw on the front squaring things up and retightening.

As for the scratches only you can decide if they'll bother you.

On the whole though I found mine a very good grinder for the money.
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 pm

One thing to add that I really liked about the MC2 was the lack of grind retention.

I used to measure the beans in to the hopper and got out virtually what I put in which is way better than my Super Jolly.

As Bruce says there are some great deals on used commercial grinders to be had but I'd have no issues recommending the MC2.
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Ferndown, welcome to TMC :)

The MC2 is functionally about the best bang for buck available for espresso grinding and has been so for years in respect of buying new. I have not heard of aesthetic issues in the past but these things can happen. As the guys suggest, only you can decide if the cosmetic issues bother you in respect of your unit or you are satisfied with the performance and the issues are secondary. They all get a little bit scratched soon enough in use, so it may be fairly short lived beauty though I know how annoying it can be when items arrive less than pristine.

I hope you get it sorted and enjoy your coffee from it :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso