New kit

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New kit

Postby quink » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:32 pm

OK, so you've probably read the Silvia modding thread below this by now. Well I'm still not finished with that, but couldn't help but get this for £350 when the offer came around.
Just need to work out the plumbing situation. I've already got a splitter on the cold feed in the kitchen, that feeds the washing machine and dishwasher. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to disconnect either of those, Mrs Quink would voice her displeasure. Simplest thing would be to get another splitter and a couple of hoses, and hope I don't get any leaks
Attachments
IMG_0243.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 7583 times
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

RE: New kit

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 pm

When you asked about what additional modifications you should make to the Silvia I bit my tongue and refrained from saying "Upgrade to a one-group commercial machine." Ah, the power of thought transference. :-) Congratulations on the new machine. You won't be disappointed.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: New kit

Postby quink » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:56 pm

rather than just posting a random picture, I'll flesh it out a little. Its a la Pavoni Pub 1 EV. Which I believe has a 4l copper boiler, and is a HX machine. I also got a 5l water softener thrown in with the deal.CTU variety. Not as cheap to replace as the salt regenerated ones, but seems to do a better job if the specs are to be believed
quink

Same boat!

Postby boldham » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:39 pm

I've got a Iberital single group machine and find myself in the same conundrum. I need plumbing as well as 240V installed. With 6L boiler, I'm not sure it makes sense for the 4-8 shots/day. I descaled it last night; I'll pull some shots this weekend and decide if I can't live without it! :wink:
boldham

Re: Same boat!

Postby quink » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:47 pm

boldham wrote: With 6L boiler, I'm not sure it makes sense for the 4-8 shots/day

Yeah definitely going to look in to insulating the boiler on this one. Once the top cover is off its cavernous inside the casing. I've seen rock wool used before, but might see how well the silicone closed cell insulation does on the silvia.

I did get her plumbed in today, but the only water hose I reused, gave way after 10 minutes or so at mains pressure, long enough though to get a brief test. I'm going to need a new anti vac valve as that's weeping, but should be good to go when that turns up.
Last edited by quink on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
quink

Postby boldham » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:12 am

Yeah definitely going to look in to insulating the boiler on this one. Once the top cover is off its cavernous inside the casing. I've seen rock wool used before, but might see how we'll the silicone closed cell insulation does on the silvia.

I think rock wool is same as mineral wool. I've used it before. It can handle high temps, but is extremely delicate; kind of falls apart in your hands. If you do go that route, make sure it has some type of backing or add something to keep it together! Good luck!
boldham

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 pm

boldham wrote:
Yeah definitely going to look in to insulating the boiler on this one. Once the top cover is off its cavernous inside the casing. I've seen rock wool used before, but might see how we'll the silicone closed cell insulation does on the silvia.

I think rock wool is same as mineral wool. I've used it before. It can handle high temps, but is extremely delicate; kind of falls apart in your hands. If you do go that route, make sure it has some type of backing or add something to keep it together! Good luck!

And wear gloves! Check back through the archives here. There are better materials for insulating boilers, but they may be more difficult to get, too. I think Cakeboy insulated his l'Anna and so did a number of other members.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 am

Ordinary wool blanket is hard to beat for this service. Wool is a good insulator, is naturally fire retardant and presents no known health risks. It is easy to work, can be cut to shape with scissors, can be fixed by sewing, glue or even staples. :shock: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby quink » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:24 pm

The new anti vac valve is in, and I fired her up this morning. Only to find that the double basket is not a pavoni one, squirted water everywhere. That left the single, which is a pavoni one and looks completely different, the double has no lip at all and fits entirely inside the PF weird.
It's a surprisingly forgiving machine, given I was using the single basket the first shot I pulled was good, not bitter or sour at all. Lets hope the doubles are as good when the basket arrives.
quink

Postby boldham » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:08 pm

GreenBean wrote:Ordinary wool blanket is hard to beat for this service. Wool is a good insulator, is naturally fire retardant and presents no known health risks. It is easy to work, can be cut to shape with scissors, can be fixed by sewing, glue or even staples. :shock: :D

Thanks for the great advice! Now I just need to decide if it will be my wife's scarf or blanket that 'goes missing'. I wonder what she would miss more. :wink:
boldham

Postby simonp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:26 am

quink wrote:The new anti vac valve is in, and I fired her up this morning. Only to find that the double basket is not a pavoni one, squirted water everywhere. That left the single, which is a pavoni one and looks completely different, the double has no lip at all and fits entirely inside the PF weird.
It's a surprisingly forgiving machine, given I was using the single basket the first shot I pulled was good, not bitter or sour at all. Lets hope the doubles are as good when the basket arrives.

Cool, good start and should only get better as you get to know her.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Return to Espresso