Nuova Simonelli Oscar HX

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Nuova Simonelli Oscar HX

Postby michael7 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:39 pm

I've decided to put the Oscar up for sale because it's just not get used as much as I thought it would. I upgraded to this from a Silvia because I wanted steam on demand and the temp stability of the bigger boiler etc - it fitted the bill perfectly.

You can find some spec on the machine at -http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/nuova-simonelli-oscar-espresso-machine#Specs 

The machine is lightweight because of the plastic body. It has age related scuffs etc but these don't impact the performance. The drip tray is fairly large and the platform can be flipped over to allow more space for taller cups to fit in. 

The steam tip is slightly tarnished, grey plastic drip platform slightly stained. 

It makes great espresso consistently and has loads of steam pressure making lovely microfoam. A short flush is all. That is required to stabilise water temp, but the thermostat is easily adjustable if you wanted to set it up differently. At present, I get about 2secs of steam flash then water dance stops.

The machine will come with a spare shower screen and group seal, double handle and double basket. It got a new pump about 2months ago. The casing rattles slightly when pump is active, just because it's plastic.

Postage is available at buyers expense.

I'm looking for £300 with collection from Glasgow preferred.
Last edited by michael7 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael7

Postby GreenBean » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:32 am

I've stickied this for you. Good luck with the sale and please let us know when it is sold.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby michael7 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:59 am

Sold - thanks.
michael7

Postby GreenBean » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 am

Congratulations on the sale.:D Unstickied.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Lambo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Michael7,

Do you mind me asking what you replaced the Oscar with? I'm contemplating upgrading and the Oscar gets good reviews. However, I would only be a "light" user so perhaps I might have the same issue as you had - not using the machine enough.

Lambo
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby GreenBean » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:33 am

Hi Lambo, I don't think michael7 was inferring that there is any problem with light use but only that he did not consider the amount of use justified keeping it. Well respected members of this forum have been very pleased with the Oscar and it can be recommended for anything from light to heavy domestic use.

GreenBean

Postby espressomattic » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:12 pm

I had one - bitterly regretted selling it, but am in no way respectable thanks.

One of the best damn machines for the home out there. No fuss, no silly chrome, does what it says. Period.
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:21 pm

espressomattic wrote:I had one - bitterly regretted selling it, but am in no way respectable thanks...

I can not be the only person who respects you, can I? … Anyone? :oops:

GreenBean

Postby Lambo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:59 pm

I wasn't implying that there's anything "wrong" with the Oscar or that michael7 was saying there's anything wrong, just wandering if there's a "better" machine for light use considering cost. Typing this on anew-tangled phone thingy and struggling!
I'll let you in on a secret - it would only be for 'Er Indoors Who Doesn't Make Coffee, Only Drinks It! I don't drink it, but maybe with a better machine I might get better! :)
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby GreenBean » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 pm

I believe you would have to spend considerably more money to get anything else as good as the Oscar. Only you can decide if it is worth it in your circumstances.

GreenBean

Postby Lambo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Yup, it's a question of weighing up priorities. We moved house about a year ago and we're still sorting out the new house. I keep finding things that irritate me, but the majority will cost money to sort out :(

Anyway, just sent the Baby off for a jolly good seeing to before Christmas, so that'll probably delay any decisions for a while!

Totally unrelated - listening to Conditions by The Temper Trap quite loud at the moment as I'm in on my own - enjoying it. :)
Citroën DS
Lambo

Return to Espresso