Insulation idea

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Insulation idea

Postby SimonInd » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 am

Whilst I had my Fracino Heavenly apart I was reminded that the boiler might benefit from insulation. Years ago I did my main machine with rock wool wrapped in foil however I think things have probably moved on from that.

This caught my eye and I wondered if it might be suitable for the task - I was thinking of wrapping it around in a few layers like a bandage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L145-HT-ARMAFLEX-TAPE-3mm-thick-x-15m-long-x-50mm-wide-/200579247103?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2eb3746bff#ht_1495wt_893

Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks
Simon
SimonInd

Postby GreenBean » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:16 am

The subject of suitable materials for boiler insulation has been the subject of many threads over several years. A number of us have used wool blanket and are happy with the result. If you search for "wool" you will find a list of the relevant threads discussing various materials.

The specific material you link to would be working too close to it's upper temperature limit for me to be comfortable with it. The manufacturers technical data states:

** For multi-layer applications above +125°C, please consult our Technical Department.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Danomar » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:28 am

I wrapped the boiler of my Olympia Cremina with Armaflex HT. I used part of a square-meter sheet, not the wrap-on type. It is secured using long plastic ties and does what it is supposed to do. I have some left if you are interested.
Danomar

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:12 am

We have Dom stuffed in our L'Anna. He has little insulation value but he always says hi as people walk past, which is nice. Should let him out really.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso