Bodum "Granos"

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bodum "Granos"

Postby phil » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:01 pm

Not seen this before. Obviously I'm not thinking of buying one myself, but I'm intrigued. It's rather "interesting looking" anyway.

Here is a picture:

As is usual with Bodum, the design looks good. I have no idea whether it's a viable option for mid-priced machines, or whether it's just flash but no substance. A quick Google tells me it's a single boiler machine, but that's all. Couldn't find a review on CG either.

A UK online retailerhas these for £299 at the moment (they say the RRP is £399). At that price point I can't imagine people flocking to buy these in droves when you can get a Silvia for a little more (£325).

Comments?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:19 pm

There is one on display in the store. It doesn't feel as solid as I'd like for the amount it costs - no one has bought one in 6 months either!

They won't let me play with it but a quick look underneath tells me its an 1150W boiler - so another overpriced underpowered machine.
It was designed by a Japanese designer I've never heard of (but that isn't sating much!)

Not too sure about the water tank either...
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby pault » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:16 pm

are my eyes deceiving me or is that an upside down bottle of mineral water somehow involved in the background?

I appreciate all the comments about doubtful functionality - but has the snazzy Japanese design look all over it - funky!!
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby phil » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:41 pm

Your eyes are not deceiving you. Providing a "docking station" for bottled water is a key feature! :roll:

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:48 pm

If I remember correctly, they have one in Purves and Purves (yup, that's the name of the shop!) on Tottenham Court Road in London, along with the Innova Dreams (machine and grinders and quite a few nice cups). They both look flash, but as soon as you remove the pf from the group head you feel let down: all style no substance, I'm not sure I'd dare tamping down on this at 30lb.
I'd love a machine that looked that good, but that has the build quality of a Silvia, but at this kind of price bracket it just isn't going to happen!
D
Gouezeri

Postby kingseven » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:19 pm

It's odd that they promote using bottled water when most bottled waters aren't very good for the insides of a machine. The machine here seems to come with a standard ESE pod basket (a bit like a lot of the Francis Francis machines).

Its quite fun though.

The only other new machine about seems to be the new Krups bean-to-cup. I shall not, however, comment on that.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Re: Bodum "Granos"

Postby wlodek » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:42 pm

phil wrote: At that price point I can't imagine people flocking to buy these in droves when you can get a Silvia for a little more (£325).

Can you? I mailed Drury and they are out of stock (expecting delivery in a few weeks). Who is the other supplier?

W.
wlodek

Postby wlodek » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:48 pm

gouezeri wrote:I'd love a machine that looked that good, but that has the build quality of a Silvia
D

Actually, Pavoni Pisa is not far off. I have both here. I'll keep the Sivia, but the design of Pisa is really good with nice heavy quality - not as solid as Silvia though.

W.
wlodek

Postby phil » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:49 pm

I don't know of any other supplier. Drury are an associated company of the Coffee Machine Company, who are the importers.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:40 pm

Couldn't be bothered to start a new thread, or tie in with the other "new" machine threads, or leopard skin accoutrements for the incarcerated. But thought somebody with too much money and too little taste might like to see one of these... me I think I'll pass. More info at: http://www.capresso.com/prod_super_f9g.html

Actually, reading the details it seems that they're limited to the US market, now why doesn't that surprise me :wink:
D
Attachments
f9-ltd-ed.jpg
Jura-Capresso IMPRESSA F9 Limited Edition
f9-ltd-ed.jpg (27.25 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
Gouezeri

Return to Espresso