L'anna Leaking/Hissing

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

L'anna Leaking/Hissing

Postby Ratters » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi All

I wondered if someone may have any knowledge on this problem?

I have a L'anna and it has started to leak/drip from the bottom on the solenoid(the bolt above the waste tray).

The machine is working fine and this only happens once I have made a coffee and stop the machine brewing then the dripping starts to to happen for about 3/4mins and then stops until i start and stop the machine again.

The flow of water seems to take slightly longer to get to the grouphead also form what i had previously done so.

I have taken the parts around the solenoid out and cleaned but this has made no difference.

Does it suggest the pump is on the way out?

Can anyone help ? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

Paul
Ratters

Postby GreenBean » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:45 am

Hopefully one of our L'anna owners will be along with specific advice for your machine. In the meantime it sounds to me as though your three way solenoid valve is leaking. This is probably due to scale or other foreign matter stopping it seating or worn/leaking seals.

When you cleaned the parts around the solenoid valve did you strip the valve itself down, clean it and inspect the seals? If you do not feel comfortable doing this then a new three way valve should fix the problem.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Ratters » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for your comments greanbean!

As I am not knowledgable in the mechanisms of the machine but am up for a go at trying I took the areas part in to bits and cleaned them and put them back.

I don't remember a three way valve however is this likely to be inside the machine nearer the boiler ??

I have anothe go next week and may go deeper into the parts..

If anyone has any advice or further suggestions I'd be very greatful.
Ratters

Postby GreenBean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:53 pm

For a wealth of helpful information I recommend you visit http://www.espressomyespresso.com by TMC member frcn. One section of his site describes the operation of the three way solenoid valve:

A quick google also turned up this showing a valve stripped down:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Ratters » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Great this seems extremely useful!!

I did get down the the valve in this case but I'll have another go.

Thanks again
Ratters

Postby dr.chris » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:11 pm

I was hoping to find some more info but the manual doesnt say anything - not that that is surprising. I dont think its a pump problem and personally I havnt seen this happen - if anyone has it will be Cakeboy.

My pump problem is that it can sometimes take a while to 'catch' the water as it were but I'm not worried yet
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Sorry chaps, particularly Ratters, yes have seen this, a slow gentle leaking. As GB suggested, we have found it to be scale related. A good HX descale usually stops it.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Hissing solved

Postby Lesanto » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:33 am

I had a hissing and steam release problem similar to that described here.

I traced it to the aerator valve on the top of the boiler. The valve is a surface seal, it is open when cold and closes when hot. The seal obviously wears as cleaning didn't cure it so I put in a new part. The replacement cost less than ten pounds (although postage was more than the part!) and the hissing has stopped.

The heater element also trips on less as a result - so the escaping steam was also heat loss and therefore ramping up the power usage!
Lesanto

Re: Hissing solved

Postby bruceb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:57 am

The problem described by Lesanto here is by far the most common cause of steam loss/hissing/dripping/etc. in all espresso machines. The vacuum-breaker valve is designed to allow hot air to escape from the boiler before it fills with steam and to let air back into the boiler as it cools down. Since steam (and dirt) are constantly being blown through this valve on start up it tends to more-or-less quickly build up scale and therefore not seal properly. This is such a common problem that there are actually 3rd-party aftermarket companies making "improved" vacuum breaker valves. Most of the original valves can be disassembled and cleaned in descaling solution. This can be done a number of times before it is necessary to replace the valve. These are NOT pressure relief or safety valves. They have no spring in them and are not sealed to discourage tampering. The overpressure or safety valve looks somewhat similar, but is larger and almost always has a lead seal along with an indication of its blow-off pressure. The vacuum breaker valve is smaller (and less expensive to replace).

Lesanto wrote:I had a hissing and steam release problem similar to that described here.

I traced it to the aerator valve on the top of the boiler. The valve is a surface seal, it is open when cold and closes when hot. The seal obviously wears as cleaning didn't cure it so I put in a new part. The replacement cost less than ten pounds (although postage was more than the part!) and the hissing has stopped.

The heater element also trips on less as a result - so the escaping steam was also heat loss and therefore ramping up the power usage!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Ratters » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:11 am

Does anyone know where to get a three way replacement valve?

Thanks

Ratters
Ratters

Postby GreenBean » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:57 pm

I suggest you try Happy Donkey.

GreenBean

Return to Espresso