FOR SALE: Mahlkoenig Vario

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

FOR SALE: Mahlkoenig Vario

Postby jossy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:54 pm

I have a Mahlkönig Vario grinder, purchased in November 2009, used daily for 2-3 espressos on average until about 6 months ago. Located in London, can be viewed, tested, picked up, or posted (I have the original box). In my honest opinion, this is a very good grinder for the home user, with a few pluses and minuses (you can tell that I'm not much of a salesman....):

+ it is extremely consistent when used with fixed settings and timed delivery
+ the quality of my shots on a PIDed Gaggia Classic was outstanding. I did a few side-by-side comparisons with Mazzer SJ and other monsters with a friend and the Vario clearly delivers good espresso-grade ground coffee
+ some of London's best cafes use Varios for their guest and test blends (e.g. Espresso Room)

- some may find it not too pretty, as it does have some brown plastic parts (they are made of solid plastic, so it doesn't actually feel cheap, just ugly)
- the main selling point of the Vario, namely that you can change your grind easily between your morning filter and afternoon espresso, is completely wrong. It is patently slow to adapt to significant setting changes, and you need to waste at least 100g of coffee until the new settings have stabilised. If this is your reason for looking at a Vario, look elsewhere. Small setting changes (e.g. when switching to another espresso blend) are OK so no worries if that's your plan.

Reason for selling: years of gadgetitis have seen me accumulate 7 grinders (not all of which are in my sig) and it's time to say goodbye to make space for new ones... I am currently challenged by a Mazzer SJ which, although it lost out to the Vario in our taste-tests, I believe will eventually do better once I learn how to master it.

Condition: perfect working order, some wear, a scratch on the plastic body from when I transported it back from the office (see photo in separate post). The espresso attachment has a crack in the plastic but it has not impaired its function so far (see photo in separate post.)

Price: currently retails new for £349 (CoffeeHit, more expensive elsewhere.) I believe 30% off new would be a fair negotiating basis (£244), but I am willing to consider any serious offer. Postage to be paid in addition if required.
Attachments
IMG_2202.jpg
The Vario
IMG_2202.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
Last edited by jossy on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Postby jossy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:56 pm

more pictures
Attachments
IMG_2206.jpg
the burrs
IMG_2206.jpg (28.56 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
IMG_2204.jpg
cracked espresso implement (the crack seems stable and does not impair its use)
IMG_2204.jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
IMG_2203.jpg
scratch mark on the plastic
IMG_2203.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Return to Espresso