Hot water no longer working

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hot water no longer working

Postby Hipponax » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:50 pm

I have an old ECM Rafaello A2 which has a hot water tap right off teh boiler - under the drip tray there is a screw you can tighten and loosen to get cold and hot water mix. I normally have this screwed right in in order to get hottest water.

Over last few days, even though Im continuing to get copious amounts of lovely steam from the steam wand, the amount and temperature of the water coming out of hot tap has been diminishing (previously frothy and lots of steam with the water, now just a thin dribble that you get normally if you havent had the boiler running long enough and in addition once water has come out the pump that normally pressurises the tank is taking longer and longer to kick in which makes me think the water is not coing out of the tank very quickly now. The solenoid IS actually kicking in and turning

Diagnosis anyone - is this an underfilled tank or a scaled pipe/solenoid? I live in a low scale area with a plumbed in water filter and the machine has been running once or twice a week per year for two years (eg not ALL the time)

Many thanks

J
ECM Raffaelo A2 Classic I
Rocky Rancilio I Reg Barber Concave I
BRITA on mains filtration I
a small kitchen I
a very very very understanding fiancee
Hipponax

RE: Hot water no longer working

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 am

I would say a scaled pipe. i have a similar issue with my machine (Faema Compact). Can't be arsed to sort it out as it is just too much hassle, well it isn't really, just can't be arsed.

Notwithstanding, have a check of the pipe and try a descale. Usually a small piece is lodeged right where you don't want it.
espressomattic

Return to Espresso