Mazzer Mini E - clumping or waste....any alternatives?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Mazzer Mini E - clumping or waste....any alternatives?

Postby the_changing_man » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi all,

I've had a bit of a break since moving house but recently fired up my Mazzer, Alpenrost and Giotto again!

I was wondering if there were any alternative 'mods' for the Mazzer to avoid clumping (if you remove the safety grill) or waste (if you don't)!

I'm tempted to remove the grill and give the grinds a stir before tamping but if anyone has any other suggestions or if someone has developed a chute mod I'd appreciate any pointers!
Shade
the_changing_man

Postby nickr » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only person concerned about this. I am constantly appalled by the grind retention of this grinder. I've no idea how its reached it's iconic status, I think its a really terrible grinder. Can't wait for my Pharos to arrive.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby motoman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:56 am

Just had aa lookinside mine for the first time in two years, alight dusting in the shute and similar in the grinder outlet. The grind is even, no clumps and does not need stirring.

I have to ask the silly questions first:

is your kitchen prone to damp, steam or too cold?

Do you fill the hopper or only use the correct amout for your needs?

Are you falling for the American obsession of putting perfection ahead of enjoying your coffee?

Have you checked the burrs for wear?
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:58 am

motoman wrote:Just had aa lookinside mine for the first time in two years, alight dusting in the shute...

quote]

:shock: :?
[/i]
espressomattic

Postby nickr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:49 pm

motoman wrote:Just had aa lookinside mine for the first time in two years, alight dusting in the shute and similar in the grinder outlet. The grind is even, no clumps and does not need stirring.

I have to ask the silly questions first:

is your kitchen prone to damp, steam or too cold?

Do you fill the hopper or only use the correct amout for your needs?

Are you falling for the American obsession of putting perfection ahead of enjoying your coffee?

Have you checked the burrs for wear?

The coffee exits the burrs via a horizontal passage to a wire grid. Coffee always accumulates in this passage and over time forms an OXO like cube behind the grid. Actually removing this build up causes clumping. The grind retention is about 9 grams ie half a standard dose.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby lsjms » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:49 pm

A year on and after much pid-ing and other fun, this is the best coffee mod I have done to my gear, it does not just remove the void under the burrs, because the sweepers run so much closer to the washer they fire stuff out the chute much cleaner. This mod will help with both your complaints, it's cheap, easy and reversible.

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... highlight=

I assume it will work with all Mazzer flats but to my knowledge no one has repeated it. Never seen in the top of a mini e but from the sound the void may be bigger than the SJ.
lsjms

Return to Espresso