O.M.G.

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

O.M.G.

Postby motoman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Today I have a serious problem, OK I'm Pete but I can still have a problem.

My steam wand on LaValentina is dead, no steam, no noise. The hot water tap is fine and the pump makes the usual noises. Stripping the jacket off I found to my horror that the poor lass has a severe rust problem on the shelf under the filler tank.

What I thought may just be a siezed micro switch is now a girl in need of immediate medical/workshop attention. The safety pressure switch under the tank is rusted solid and I have the engineering knowledge of a ferret. Does anyone know of a good service depot in the Midlands who can sort out my ladies problems?

My fault entirely, she is all lovely and shiny on the outside so I never looked inside. At my trial before my coffee peers I shall plead guilty and accept any punishment (No Beany not the whip).
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

RE: O.M.G.

Postby darrensandford » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 am

Gah, sorry to here that! Hope you get it sorted and back to being shiny on the inside as well as the outside.
darrensandford

RE: O.M.G.

Postby lukas » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:11 am

Pete ... serious? What have they done to you, were they aliens or CIA?
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby dsc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi Pete,

shitty news:( are we talking about the pressure switch (as in contacts with two wires) or the release valve?

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby GreenBean » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:41 am

I have no knowledge whatsoever of your machine Pete, hopefully someone who knows more about it will be along soon. I can not help with a service depots in your area either.

From what you say it sounds as though you have found two entirely separate issues and it should not be too difficult to investigate it further.

1. The safety pressure switch under the tank:

I assume your machine has an internal water tank standing on a plate supported by springs that acts as a weigh table and the safety pressure switch you refer to is a simple microswitch detecting movement of that plate. The purpose of the microswitch is to disable the pump when the water level is too low. You should be able to remove the microswitch and purchase a replacement online. If I have misunderstood what you meant by the safety pressure switch please explain more clearly.

2. No steam from steam wand:

Either the boiler is not hot enough to generate steam or you have a blockage in the steam valve or steam wand. Do you have a boiler pressure gauge? If so is it reading normal pressure (1.1 to 1.3 bar)? Can you remove the steam arm and solenoid and clean them out?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby motoman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks all, yup, it is the micro switch under the filler tank that is rusted solid, my technical knowledge ends with the door key)............ I am sure the steam valve can be fixed but it is the general state of the interior that needs attention. I will try to cleanup the support plate and probably paint it with Hammerite to kill further rust. I will also look on line for a replacement switch.

It didn't help that I was building myself a new computer and everything was going wrong. I was tearing my old grey hairs out and very frustrated. Luckily I at last got it right, the new motherboard was a friday afternoon job and have replaced it. It is very wierd having a computer that is totally silent and faster than Cakey at a bun eating contest.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:08 pm

motoman wrote:It is very wierd having a computer that is totally silent and faster than Cakey at a bun eating contest.

That is simply not possible. Some physicists recently thought that they had found neutrinos travelling faster than the speed of light but they were wrong. Only Cakey at a bun eating contest can do that. :wink: :D

motoman wrote:Thanks all, yup, it is the micro switch under the filler tank that is rusted solid, my technical knowledge ends with the door key)............ I am sure the steam valve can be fixed but it is the general state of the interior that needs attention. I will try to cleanup the support plate and probably paint it with Hammerite to kill further rust. I will also look on line for a replacement switch.

Good luck, I am sure you will soon have it up and running. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Espresso