Help cleaning Fracino Little Gem

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Help cleaning Fracino Little Gem

Postby Mattpitts74 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:13 am

Hi

I have recently managed to buy a secondhand fracino Little Gem from ebay, which is in good working order. I want to make sure we look after it as well as possible. We are using it commercially in a very small cafe mainly just at weekends.

I just have a few questions about cleaning?

I have already been using Cafiza cleaner for the group head and back flushing, but I would like to know the best way to clean the actual water tank of this machine??

Also wondering if there is any particular routine I should go through when switching the machine off at the end of the day?
Mattpitts74

RE: Help cleaning Fracino Little Gem

Postby RobC » Tue May 15, 2012 8:10 pm

As long as you are backflushing with cleaning solution, and then followed by at least 5 backflushes with just water to rinse it all out - you are cleaning the most important parts of the machine systems.

The cold water reservoir of the little gem itself should not really need cleaning - it just holds cold water and presuming that is all you are pouring in - and use the plastic stopper to seal it between fills there should be no issue - especially as the water from the tank will be heated to at least 90 degrees before it is consumed - if you really wanted to drain and flush the cold water tank you would need to unplug and depressurise the machine, remove the chrome body panels (they wrap round it like [_] and the retainers are front middle left and right) then remove the hose from the vibratory pump inlet - drain the water out - flush your tank with whatever you wish - rinse to make sure it is fresh and then rebuild.

End of day, backflush - if not with cleaner at least with fresh water a few times. Turn off - do not leave the steam arm soaking in anything while it is turning off - the depressure vacuum will suck whatever it soaking in into the boiler - to be uber safe turn off then open the steam arm and leave it open so the internal pressure is released that way - gives the steam arm a good flush as well.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Return to Espresso