ECM Giotto (Gaskets...)

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

ECM Giotto (Gaskets...)

Postby michel » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:04 pm

I can buy an ECM Giotto of 2 years old, for 500 euro and I think this is a reasonable price. The seller said he will call me back in two to three weeks to make an appointment for the transaction.

In the mean time, I am waiting... and waiting and thinking about the gaskets...
Any of you any idea if I need to change the gaskets, and if so, how to do it.

Thanks
michel

Postby Raf » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:15 pm

Do you have a picture of the gaskets? I think there's a "How To" about cleaning a group on CoffeeGeek: something about prying them loose with a sharp object (carefully! you can damage them easily!). Don't take any steps untill you're completely sure you're using the right approach, though, I wouldn't want to be responsible for a ruined gasket.

While we're on the subject: anyone got an idea where I can buy gaskets for my VBM? I heard that you should replace them every 6 months, and I've been using them for a year now, maybe it's time to replace them.

Is 500 euro a good deal on a 2-year old Giotto?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:30 pm

Neku: Is 500 euro a good deal on a 2-year old Giotto?

Don't know, but I think so... New price is 1150 (most places 1299,-) euro... and as I see no Giotto's offered anywhere secondhand... I thought it might be a good deal.

About the gaskets for VBM... I think every local dealer can order them...although I have no idea where to buy it online (I ordered the gaskets for Elektra in the shop where I bought her and received them 2 days later...)

I think there are about 12 gaskets in the Giotto (thats the amount of gaskets in Elektra), so if the gasket in the grouphead is difficult allready, what can I expect with all the others....

Michel
michel

Postby Raf » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:38 pm

Hmm, I was thinking only of the grouphead gasket. Are you really going to try to replace them yourself? It looks like something I'll ask my dealer about.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:32 pm

I dont know yet if I'm up for the job... And I definately need to know first if it is necessary... as I'ts spoiled money and time and frustration if I'm changing the gaskets, to find out later that it was not necessary at all.
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:08 pm

Neku, why would you want to replace the gasket after half a year? I haven't replaced it for 3 years... I don't see any wear.

I buy my VBM stuff in Amsterdam on my trips to the Netherlands.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:10 pm

Sorry, lost in translation... I had a different part in mind. No you are right, the gasket should be replaced once it is broken. But you will notice when it is broken becaue the pressure can't build up any longer or you get leakage. I replace mine after approximately 2 years and a bit. It was getting crumbly. Should cost around 5 pounds or 7.50 euro. I have a spare one at home.
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:23 pm

Ok, thanks for the info. You never remove the gasket for cleaning? And if so, how do you do that?

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:08 am

Yes I do clean the gasket about 3 times a year. I always combine it with descaling. I remove the gasket with a flat screwdriver. Inevitably you may damage the gasket a tiny bit, but I wouldn't worry about that. When putting the gasket back in the grouphead remember the following things:
1) text on gasket facing up;
2) tighten the gasket by hooking the PF WITHOUT basket in the grouphead first.
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:58 am

Thanks! I'll try it some time.

Raf
Founder Member

Return to Espresso