Gaggia Tebe group head seal replacement/ steam wand priming

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Gaggia Tebe group head seal replacement/ steam wand priming

Postby 3dit0r » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 am

Guys,

I have a couple of issues with my ageing, but still much loved, Gaggia Tebe which I use at home-

- Leaky group head seal needs replacing. I have the seal, but can't work out how to access the old one to replace it.
- My steam wand has ceased to work properly, iirc there's a procedure for manual priming, but I can't find it on the good ol' interweb :wink:

Anyone know these procedures, or is there a service manual anywhere? Would love to get the old girl working properly again as I've just found some very nice looking beans I wish to sample...

TIA

James
3dit0r

RE: Gaggia Tebe group head seal replacement/ steam wand prim

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:46 am

Welcome to TMC James :)

I Am not familiar with your machine but think the Tebe is much the same as the Classic which has a central screw holding the showerscreen on under the grouphead. If you carefully unscrew that, it should all become accessible.

Similarly, I am not certain if the steam wand on the Tebe is identical to the Classic but will assume it probably is. In what way as the wand ceased to work properly? Does it appear to be a pressure issue or some sort of blockage? Have you soaked the plastic frother (am assuming it has one)? Does the steam arm work okay without the frother connected?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Gaggia Tebe group head seal replacement/ steam wand prim

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:16 am

You might check the archives here and also look at YouTube. IIRC there is a video showing how it's done on the Classic and I'm pretty sure it's the same on the Tebe. Good luck and let us know how you fare.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi James, welcome to TMC. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby 3dit0r » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm really sorry I didn't respond, I've just found notifications for your replies in my email spam, so I didn't realise anyone had replied.

Right, I shall try to find the info on the forum and let you know how I get on- the TEBE is indeed the same as the Classic, I believe, in all but appearance. I found a website which showed how to replace the seal, so that's OK.

With the steam wand- I never use the frother, it's awful, and anyway I make much better foam without it, no, it's the bare steam wand and it has steam coming out but no pressure? It's odd, as I always blast it after steaming to avoid backflush and milk buildup inside and it's descaled regularly. The only reason I thought of priming is because on the site I bought my group head seal, there was a 'manual pump primer' for when the pump needs re-priming and I wondered if it was that, as I can hear the pump working, and steam is coming out, but not much pressure, and no 'water' if I turn to that setting?

Cheers,

James
3dit0r

Return to Espresso