La Spaziale Vivaldi not playing nice

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

La Spaziale Vivaldi not playing nice

Postby Raf » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Recently my La Spaz is not delivering decent espresso anymore.

I use a naked PF, which for some reason is not fitting well into the gasket anymore. Almost every time I make an espresso, some water leaks out from over the top of the basket (between gasket and basket). Do I need to replace the gasket? If so: does anyone have an instructional video on how to do this? Shipping it back to Steve across the pond to replace a gasket is a no go, I'm afraid. Thanks.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

RE: La Spaziale Vivaldi not playing nice

Postby lukas » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Hey Raf, long time no read!

Sound like a worn gasket, replacing it should not be too difficult. I don't know the specifics of the Spaziale, but normally you just remove the showerscreen and -head and then try to get the old gasket out. If you can't grab it, try screwing in some screws for a few mm and grab them instead. If the gasket is very old, it might come out only piece by piece, though ...
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby bruceb » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Raf! It has been awhile...

If you search here you'll find lots of hints on how to change group seals. Make sure you have the proper replacement first before you begin, however, as the old one is, as Lukas said, likely to come out in pieces or at least be damaged. If you have any specific questions just try asking them here.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 am

Hello, buy a few replacement kits whilst your at it... e.g. shower screens, gasket, and screws etc. Useful for next time and might as well combine the shipping etc.

If removing the gasket prooves difficult I'd go with the technique Lukas describes of screwing a self tapping screw into a central section of the gasket being careful not to screw it too far and damaging the group but enough to fix it in place. Then pull the screw with pliers and this will help to pull the gasket out. New gaskets might need to wear down a bit for the portafilter (pf) to fit back in to the position you are used to, you can wear it down through use or by twisting the pf back and forth.

Good luck!
Chris

Return to Espresso