Leaky manometer pipe

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Leaky manometer pipe

Postby Skippy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi, i just replaced my old bodged manometer pipe with an official one from cimbali but im getting a drip from where the pipe meets the boiler.

I had problems with this when i first got the machine but making a up a pipe from brake line and fitting seemed to solve it but id used standard solder which i was was told was unsafe on a pressurised boiler

Would just using a washer solve the problem? If so, what type?
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

RE: Leaky manometer pipe

Postby RobC » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Presuming it's a simple screw fit with floating nut on the pipe, probably the simplest way is some ptfe plumbers tape around the thread on the boiler to get it sealed - most smaller domestic machine manufacturers seem to use a thread locking glue to seal these joints up but I have yet to find a source for the product.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Skippy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Yes, thats the kind of connection. I had tried ptfe around it when i had the probably originally but ill give it another go with this new pipe. Thanks
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby Skippy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:33 pm

That seems to have worked, think the thread is a bit dodgy tho, seemed to jump when it was getting tight.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby RobC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 pm

The existing boiler fitting could have been a little worn from your previous removal and refits, plus the added girth of ptfe will effect the fitting of the threads - if there is no audible hissing during use and after a week no water marks indicating leaking around the joint then you should be good.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Skippy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:17 pm

I think the machine was pretty abused before i got it, it arrived to me with the original pipe leaking about 4 years ago. Ive never seen so much dirt in anything before, you do not want to know what the inside of the PF looked like..... *shudders*

Think shes due for a full overhaul again tho, theres some rust on the frame. I did it on the cheap last time as i had to replace pumps and other parts, so no money for powder coating. Would be nice to get it in better than new condition
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby Aadje » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:39 am

Else, get yourself some locktite, that stuff pretty much seals everything.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Skippy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:46 pm

would that stuff work with the heat from the boiler?
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby bruceb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm

There are a number of flavours of Loctite. Some withstand higher temperatures without problem. It's best to ask at a machine shop or hardware store. However, I would probably not loosen the nut again at this time if it isn't leaking. If the thread really is damaged you might finish it off.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Skippy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Would i have to worry about it being food safe? Ill certainly leave it as it is for now, be good to have other options if i do a strip down and rebuild later in the year tho.

I was originally thinking some kind of silicon washer would compress nicely and form a good seal, would that be possible?
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby Aadje » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 pm

That would be possible I guess, a copper washer or a teflon washer might also do the trick.

about the loctite, iirc Kees van der Westen uses Loctite 542 (Hydraulic Sealant, medium strength). I used Ergo 4202 for the Speedster, which is a cheaper brand but equivalent to loctite 542.

edit: typo and additional info
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Skippy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks very much
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Return to Espresso