Gaggia Baby de scale - frequency?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Gaggia Baby de scale - frequency?

Postby Cafeconhielo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 am

I know there are always variables here but I currently de scale my Gaggia Baby every 3 months.

Yes I have hard water but considering I only use the machine once maybe twice a day for a double shot, do you consider this as being overkill and could I safely extend the period to twice a year?

Opinions valued. Thank you.
Cafeconhielo

RE: Gaggia Baby de scale - frequency?

Postby bruceb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:25 pm

I guess the only answer is to shine light into the boiler after 3 months of use and look in there to see how much scale has built up. It will depend wholly on how hard your water is and what kind of hardness (ratio of calcium to magnesium/etc.) there is. Since the chemistry is rather gray (because you probably don't know and may not be able easily to find out the variables) checking the boiler is most likely the best way to decide. Considering your usage descaling every 3 months does seem a bit much, but again that depends upon the quality of your water.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Espresso