UKBC 2012 - Champion: Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood!

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby fluffykiwi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Can I send my congratulations out to Maxwell? I wasn't at the finals but think they found a worthy winner who runs a great coffee shop (in Bath - see my previous post about it), which at the end of the day is what it is all about, great coffee!
fluffykiwi

Postby CakeBoy » Sun May 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Indeed, huge congratulations to Maxwell, and to everyone. The full results are (reproduced from UKBC site):

UKBC 2012 Final:
Placing Score Barista
1 607 Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood - UKBC Champion 2012
2 595 James Bailey
3 585 Howard Barwick
4 582 Mark Lamberton
5 550 Dale Harris
6 549 Dan Fellows

UKBC 2012 Semi-Finals:
Placing Score Barista
1 621.5 Dale Harris
2 602.5 Dan Fellows
3 599 James Bailey
4 598.5 Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood
5 591 Howard Barwick
6 589 Mark Lamberton
7 565.5 Sang Ho Park
8 544 Gordon Howell
9 508 Stuart Archer
10 497.5 Sam Dunford
11 492.5 Alex Sargent
12 479 Dave Jones
13 470 Rummy Keshett
14 468.5 Dan Shannon
15 444.5 Steve Dyson
16 435.5 Mark Pooley
17 421 Thom Harlow
18 394.5 Joe Beaver
19 433 Matthew Robley-Siemonsma
20 355 Laura Timpany

Certificates for Best Espresso, Best Cappuccino and Best Signature Drink were also awarded:
Best Espresso: James Bailey
Best Cappuccino: Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood
Best Signature Drink: James Bailey
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Thu May 17, 2012 10:58 pm

I've not been around here in so long I'm very out of touch. I ended up in Maxwell's shop - Colonna & Small's - in Bath today by accident whilst waiting for a dentist appointment. The espresso was fantastic so I thought I'd Google them, now I know why!!
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 28, 2012 11:58 pm

Simon! Great to see you. I was just thinking a few days ago about your fantastic blend posts of years gone by :)

Hope you are keeping well! (despite the dentist's best efforts).

Have heard only excellent things anout Colonna & Small's :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:23 pm

I surprise myself for not adding to this thread earlier though I thought it was a locked thread or maybe something along those lines where if I posted a comment Cakey might send the boys round. :D

To be honest I don't keep up and am hardly interested in barista competitions, here is the story.

I'm in Bath with my partner and i'm dutifully following her around as she admires hundreds of pounds worth of shoes, bags, clothes and stuff we already have together with trying to get me into bun-shops.

As it happens she took me to Max's coffee shop because she's aware i'm wary of people who sell coffee. She said I would be impressed.

I was impressed, firstly because whoever it was that served me wasn't fazed by me not wanting an espresso and was happy to recommend a coffee on the basis I liked my coffee flat with half-and-half but I don't like my coffee insipid.

I've had a decent cup of coffee in coffee shops before, it was always a surprise and I always had to explain why and how I like my coffee, Max's shop is special, he showed me an African coffee I might like black, I don't like black coffee but there was something about the air of qualified-confidence that made me accept the African coffee.

I drank it black, first black coffee for years and a nice experience though not my style.

Thanks Maxwell, or whoever it was. ten-out-of-ten.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Previous

Return to Espresso