Iberital MC2?!?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Iberital MC2?!?

Postby qwerty69 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:07 pm

I've been grinding some El Salvador Finca Argentina for a few days now but my Iberital MC2 isn't liking it and may just have given up the ghost.

Since starting with the beans (which were roasted on 22-12-11) the grinder has been making a subtly different noice when in operation but just today (25-12-11) the grinder has stopped working.

The blades on the MC2 still appear to be turning but the coffee is not grinding.

Any thoughts as to whether the machine is knackered or just needs a good clean or is it an issue around the type of beans?

Any assistance appreciated.
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

RE: Iberital MC2?!?

Postby RobC » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:42 pm

The MC2 has a very narrow entry point from the bean hopper to the burrs, combined with the bean size of your El Salvador Finca Argentina I think the beans just don't fit between the burrs to be ground. Best solution is start it grinding, then adjust the grind to coarser (The mc2 worm driven grind adjustment is super sensistive - so be prepared to turn the knob whole 360 degree turns many times) until it starts to grind - when it does grind stop grinding and check the grind produced - most likely too coarse - set it grinding again and now adjust to finer as it grinds - adjusting then grind setting while it is still can cause bean locks.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby bruceb » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:14 am

I agree with Rob on this. Many grinders have problems with maragogype or other large beans. To make sure you might try some other beans as well as trying the work-around Rob suggests.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby qwerty69 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:51 pm

I'll give it a clean out to get all of the beans out and try some others. Shame if I can't grind the El Salvadors as the do taste rather good.
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby bruceb » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:41 pm

If this turns out to be the case you can crack the beans in a clean mortar and pestle before grinding them. I used to do this with maragogype beans when I had a "home" grinder.

Oh yes, and also be sure to take out the top burr and check for beans or fragments clogging the area around the lower burr and the channel to the chute. A vacuum with a small snout is useful, also a brass bristled brush and a bottle brush, unless you have compressed air and can blow it out, which is probably the most effective way of cleaning it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby qwerty69 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:49 pm

I think I'm now officially in the market for a new grinder.

I took the top off of the MC2 off to get at the burrs, removed the worm drive and unscrewed the top burr and carrier. I then cleaned everything out and put it all back together again, and tried to grind some different beans. The first of the coffee came through but the machine jammed again.

I unblocked everything again and put it all back together but when adjusting the grind with the Worm drive a number of the teeth on the burr adjustment mechanism broke.

I've now got two questions, is it possible to repair the MC2? If I opt to replace it what should I choose?

Obviously this close to Christmas I'm working to a budget but any options for a replacement would be appreciated. In an ideal world I'm thinking Vario, Mazzer SJ (most likely used) or possibly some other used commercial?
qwerty69

Postby bruceb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:14 am

The MC2 is generally so highly acclaimed (in its class) that I am surprised you are having these problems. If you decide to repair the grinder (which certainly makes sense because you can, at least, then sell it) you might give Scott at Happy Donkey a call and see what he can do. If anyone can help it is probably Scott.

If you do buy a new grinder I (personally and with no intention of offending anyone) would read about the Vario on the Internet and then buy something else. A used SJ is a great grinder, even if you have to replace the burrs.
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:09 pm

As happens often, I must agree with Bruce.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby dr.chris » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:58 am

I think the point about the MC2 is that its a very good grinder (putting the pain of adjustment aside) for the price. It doesn't mean its the best machine out there.

From the write ups here if I was going to upgrade from mine I'd be very tempted to look at the Eureka Mignon - but as is often mentioned the 2nd hand commercial route seems to be a good one
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby RobC » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:56 pm

qwerty69 wrote:
I unblocked everything again and put it all back together but when adjusting the grind with the Worm drive a number of the teeth on the burr adjustment mechanism broke.

Wow you broke the grind adjustment, that's interesting. When you adjust the grind do you do it while it is grinding or static?
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby qwerty69 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Missed out on a Super Jolly for £150 on eBay as the seller had said collection only and by the time we'd agreed that postage was an option it'd already sold :-(((

However my current thinking is that I'd like a Mazzer SJ or possibly a Mini so long as the price is right but there don't appear to be too many used ones for sale at the moment.

Anyone got any leads on any for sale?

Also is there much of a difference between the mini and the mini e except the larger burrs and one being doserless?

Having said that I don't know how long I can go using preground and as such might have to rethink as I need a working grinder.
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:46 pm

RobC wrote:Wow you broke the grind adjustment, that's interesting. When you adjust the grind do you do it while it is grinding or static?

Hi Rob I always adjust while the grinder is static but I grind only the beans I need for a double so the grinder is always empty while being adjusted.
qwerty69

Postby bruceb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm not sure that the grinder is really empty unless you take out the top burr and clean it. Beans and fragments tend to stick between the burr carriers and can block the mechanism.
bruceb

Mazzer

Postby Algerian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:07 pm

I bought my Mazzer JD refurbished from a Swiss seller on ebay for 250 euros. I replaced the burrs and it's doing fine. These are the details for contact:

Gasparoli Trading GmbH
Markus Gasparoli-Kuhn
Tramstrasse 14
Postfach 103
4142 Münchenstein
Schweiz

Email: mokarabia.ch@bluewin.ch

I don't know if he has any for sale right now but it might be worth contacting him.

The only problem with buying from Switzerland is postage but I found he was willing to negotiate on price and postage together, so that brought it down quite a bit.
Algerian

RE: Mazzer

Postby qwerty69 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Got a source for a fully refurb Mazzer Mini or a Mazzer Super Jolly, the difference in price is around £50.00.

Initially I was thinking about the SJ but am wondering if the Mini would suffice (I'm sure it's a step up from my MC2), and the reduced size would be more palatable to my other half.

Any thoughts?

If it was you're money which would you plump for?
qwerty69

Next

Return to Espresso