Iberital MC2?!?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: RE: Mazzer

Postby Algerian » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm

I probably would go for the Mini but I only had Super Jollys available when I bought. They're big but they look impressive! And it works beautifully with the new burrs.

qwerty69 wrote:Got a source for a fully refurb Mazzer Mini or a Mazzer Super Jolly, the difference in price is around £50.00.

Initially I was thinking about the SJ but am wondering if the Mini would suffice (I'm sure it's a step up from my MC2), and the reduced size would be more palatable to my other half.

Any thoughts?

If it was you're money which would you plump for?
Algerian

RE: Re: RE: Mazzer

Postby bruceb » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:28 pm

The SJ is without question (in my mind) the better grinder, but you can't go too wrong with either one of them.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:34 pm

For 50 more, I'd opt for the SJ.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby qwerty69 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:55 pm

I was leaning towards the Mini due to the size difference but had always thought I'd like a Super Jolly.

My thought was that I could get the mini and at some future point upgrade the burrs and carriers for those from either a mini-e or a SJ to get more performance while retaining the smaller body.

Having said that if I thought I could fit in the SJ minus the hopper I may go down that route.

What height would the SJ be when topped with a tamper?
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Super Jolly

Postby Algerian » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:42 pm

The Mazzer SJ is about 600mm tall with the hopper. I find it's rather nice in the kitchen. If you look at page 3 of "Considering different coffee machines" in Espresso, you will see photos of my SJ next to the La Scala in my kitchen. It fits well. Go for it!
Algerian

RE: Super Jolly

Postby qwerty69 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:57 pm

So I've decided to opt for the Super Jolly, the only question now is do I go for the small hopper or get it with the standard one and then remove it completely?!?
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby lukas » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 am

Never missed a hopper on my major, which is a little taller than the SJ. Using a jam funnel like this one: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000A0I76O/ and a tamper on top works pretty well for me.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Aadje » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:56 pm

As stated in your other thread, I'm not using a hopper at all. Just a blindfilter to seal the proverbial deal.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby qwerty69 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Much appreciated.
qwerty69

Previous

Return to Espresso